The Created In Fantasy: Warforged, Clockwerks, and other Magical Androids

Reynard

Legend
It occurs to me that as much as I love Eberron, I like the core book as a jumping off point and have never dug into the official lore. I don't even know what the official origin of the creation forges is. In my canon, they are the work of House Cannith but espionage led the the secret spread of the magitech.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
As for how I use “Created” races, I have a couple home brew versions for my own setting. One of which is the Golmeng, sentient golems with 4 subraces (clay, stone, metal, glass). They were created by Artificers and Wizards that were trying to design golems intelligent enough to complete complex tasks. Eventually they became so smart that they have human-levels of sentience, and were eventually freed of slavery after rebelling against their creators. They now live mostly in harmony with the other races, scattered across the world. I haven’t really delved deep into giving them more interesting lore and plot hooks, but I will eventually.

The second race is the Felshen, a bio-engineered race originally created as the Flesh Golem subraces for the Golmeng, but modified to be more psionically inclined than the rest and to be a true-breeding race. They were made mostly using human and elf DNA, but small bits of other races were used, like Gnomes, Halflings, Dwarves, and Tieflings. The Felshen have innate telepathic powers, and have developed a society that uses psionic magitech for a variety of uses. They use Psi-Gems to extend the rashness of their telepathy, mental libraries to store the collective knowledge of their society, and dream-hubs to allow them to communicate with each other and be productive while sleeping. They are fierce rivals of the Yikkan Goblinoids, masters of magic that believe aberrations use psionics to corrupt the world, and have had dozens of wars and conflicts with them.

kronovan

Adventurer
I featured golems in my Dragon Age campaign, which is probably the closest thing in that setting to a creature like a warforged or android. I dipped into the Clockwork magic in the AGE appendix of the Midgard Campaign Setting book, which includes spells for creating constructs. That worked well and I made that school of magic available for PCs at level 6+; albeit none of my players were takers.

I brewed up an adventure set amongst the northern docks of Denerim, where rogue Surface Dwarves and an Apostate had secretly refitted a factory to construct Stone and Steel golems. Those were destined for a faction that was conspiring against the King. The adventure played out well, although I was a bit surprised at how well the party of PCs stood up to the steel fist of the final steel golem bosses.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I’m not BookTenTiger if that’s what you’re asking, you’ll actually see me liking several posts. That was a great thread though.
Heh, as soon as I read your post I got a vivid image in my mind of the Golem sitting on his throne, and I recalled the thread, and womdered if you’d been inspired by it too. It was a great thread

Remove ads