• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Best Final Fantasy

Which is the best Final Fantasy game?

• FFI: WARRIORS! You must revive the power of the ORBS!

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • FFII: Frionel, Maria, and Guy must save the world from the evil Jade Demon.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FFIII: Four children are chosen by the Crystals to defeat the Demon King Zande.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FFIV: Sir Cecil Harvey of Baron quests to defeat Golbeze and become a paldin.

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • FFV: Bartz and crew seek to save two worlds from the evil Exdeath.

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • FFIV: Trite story about Terra, Locke, and the Returners vs. the evil sorcerer Kefka.

Votes: 25 32.9%
  • FFVII: Classic tale of Cloud Strife saving the world from Sephiroth and Meteor.

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • FFVIII: Squall and his fellow SeeDs must defeat the evil sorceress Ultimecia.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • FFIX: Zidane Tribal and friends must save a world of fantasy... again.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • FFX: Tidus... uh, he plays Blitzball...

Votes: 4 5.3%

swordsman1612

First Post
Another vote for FF Tactics. Very nice gameplay and class system. FF IV is a close second in my mind. I've always liked Cecil's story, the redemption of the black knight of Baron.

Someguy

First Post
ff1...the one that started them all... Itr was just so fun to play, becuase it wasn't over in about a week..For story I have to agree with Swordsman here.... FF IV was awesome as well, and two player ;)

Fictionaut

First Post
Final Fantasy Tactics! I've never been as utterly addicted to a console game in my life. I haven't enjoyed FF7 and forward as much as the earlier titles; the long combat cinema sequences got old pretty quick, for one. That said, what I've seen of FF X looks amazing...

Lothaire

First Post
I voted for 6. I loved the whole Esper / Technomagic / Evil Empire thing.

And you just have to love Kefka. He is the classic Cheesy Evil Overlord villian.

Pale

First Post
I would have to FFTactics as well. I just love that battle engine. Ogre Tactics is also a favorite of mine.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Well, personally I find the whole FF series to be lacking in innovation, but the span from 4 to 6 was by far better than 1-3 or 7-10. Perhaps it was just my age, or that they were new (I never played 2 or 3), but by the time 7 came around, it was just more of the same every time. If I want that, Dragon Quest is a much better series.

LightPhoenix

Grayswandir

Just a lurker
Ooo, tough call. Mind you, I've only played through 1 and 3-8. Oh, and Mystic Quest and Legends 1-3, none of which really count.

Cecil is one of my favorite video game characters ever, and a lasting inspiration to me. He almost defines what it means to be a dark knight.

And we can't forget FF1, the classic that started it all.

For story, 6 and 8 are both great, and nearly tied. Both had some great tearjerking moments. But 6 achieved its poignancy without needing to use FMVs and high-tech graphics, so it gets the nod. Plus, 6 has Kefka.

But none of that really matters. This is a game series, so gameplay is what counts. And for gameplay, 5 and 7 are the two I keep coming back to. The major difference is that one of those two features unskippable FMVs in the middle of battles, while the other does not. So the winner is: FF5.

Turlogh

Explorer
Voted for IV only one I have played completely through, but I also liked VII and Tactics.

I also liked the movie, not what I was expecting but still enjoyable.

drothgery

First Post
drothgery said:
I voted for 6, but I've only played 1,4,6,7, and 10 extensively. Seriously considered voting for X, but I'm not quite done with it yet (I should be able to finish it after work today).

... scratch that.

It seems that like FFIV, you can play through FFX until just before the last battle without fighting mindless battles for character advancement. However, you have to do a bit at the end. The first batch of this wasn't sufficient, so I'm going to have to backtrack again.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads