• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Archer Cleric

s-dub

First Post
I've heard alot about cleric archer builds, but never seen one. Anyone have one lying around they can post?

I understand that Zen archery is the feat that really makes this possible, but what other synergies exist?

joshjurg

Explorer
Whoa, weird. I am playing a cleric archer currently. I decided to do so after rolling the stats I did, so no zen archery for me. Here he is as of right now - I just got my only magic item and I don't expect to see another one for quite awhile.

Jonquil Firemane Wood Elf Cleric of Corellon 6
S 18 D 20 Co 10 I 8 W 15 Ch 11 (We roll stats, no point buy)

Armor: MWK Mithril shirt (+4 AC)
Buckler on arm - usually not functional, but usable when not firing.
Weapon: +2 Shock Comp Longbow - BAB +4, + 11 or +9/+9 1d8+6+1d6(+1 if within 30')
Wand of lesser Vigor

Saves: F +5 R +7 W +7

Feats: Point Blank (Elf Domain), Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Divine Fortune (PHBII - since my turns are near useless)

Alternate Class Abilities: Divine Magician from Comp. Mage (lose a domain to add a Abj,Div or Necro spell from Sorc/Wiz list to your spell list every odd level.) - I found this to be extremely necessary

Skills: Craft (Fletching) (1 rank), Knowledge Arcana & Religion (1 rank ea), Listen (1), Spot (1), Survival (5).

Spells per Day: 5 4+1 4+1 2+1
Key Spells :
Arrow Mind SC p15 - great first level spell, allows me to basically always use only a bow. only available through my Alt Class Ability.
Identify - through same ability.
Close Wounds - SC48 - probably one of the best low level cleric spells IMHO.
Deflect - PHB II - Through Alt class Feature
Alter Fortune - PHBII - Hugely useful, even if i do lose xp. Saves many teammates.
Energy Aegis - PHBII - sometimes better than Close Wounds
Weapon of Energy - SC - one of the few non-swift or faster spells I will cast.

I will use my wand for healing, so the majority of my spells are used as swift or immediate actions in combat while I try to rain at least two arrows every round.

I have saved many party members with my spells while staying active and usually scoring two hits per round. When things get tough, I cast arrow mind or retreat. I usually avoid a lot of damage, so I can put the healing where it counts, on our meelee guys.

*None of us are really powergamers and numbers are really all secondary to us - Jonquil basically just embodies this vision of Elven woodsy-swiftness and loyal travel companion. That is what I tried to emulate with him so far - I have played him since 3rd level. Although I also disreguard most "builds" - I want a character to be fun now, not in three levels.*

Also, my party consists of two rogues, a monk and a conjurer - So take this character with that in mind.

*Edit - I have also avoided damage in nearly every single encounter while being a large supplier of our party's "hurt" *

Last edited:

Remove ads