• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Talisman which one to buy?

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
My gaming group wants to do one friday per a month of board gaming, so I have been thinking about purchasing one of the Talisman editions off eBay. Which one is the best? As far as I know, there are four versions, a 1E version, 2E version, 3E version and the one from Black Industries.

thanks

Scott

Darkwolf71

First Post
It is. I own both and BI's 4th edition is as far as I can tell identical to the 2nd. But fancier, with a bigger board and better playing pieces.

That said, I still prefer 2nd. Nostalgia? Probably.

For anyone who is not a collector, I'd recommend 4th. I'm sure FFG will be putting out new versions of all the expansions as well.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
1st edition, 2nd edition and 4th edition are basically identical except for bits.

Avoid 3rd edition like the plague.

If you can't get 2nd edition + expansions, get 4th edition. Personally, I think 4e is more durable than 2e, and with FFG now having the rights we should get expansions at some point or another... and most likely much better balanced than the 2e ones were.

Cheers!

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Hi all-

Thanks for the replies, I'll go with 4E since it is alot less then the other versions. BTW, does FFG have plans to reprint the 4th edition version? I'm kinda surprised Black Industires lost the rights, they do a great job on the WFRP line of books.

Scott

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Get the new one by Black Industries or 3rd edition. I have 3rd with all the expansion boards and its my personal favorite. The new one is nice too.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Scott_Holst said:
Hi all-

Thanks for the replies, I'll go with 4E since it is alot less then the other versions. BTW, does FFG have plans to reprint the 4th edition version? I'm kinda surprised Black Industires lost the rights, they do a great job on the WFRP line of books.

AFAIK, they do plan to reprint 4e.

Black Industries is gone, due to Games Workshop restructuring. GW has taken big, big hits in the last few years, and they really need to concentrate on what they do best. So they've licensed the RPG/boardgames out to FFG.

Mind you, the WFRP books were designed by Green Ronin, so the decision to wind up BI isn't quite as surprising.

Cheers!

rushlight

Roll for Initiative!
This is just personal opinion, but I'd suggest... none of the above! Instead, I suggest Arkham Horror!

Recently, a friend picked up the new 4th edition of Talisman. We were all excited to play it, given the nostalgia from playing lo those many years ago. Let me tell you, I found it *boring*! I guess when you're young, you don't notice that the only thing to do in Talisman is roll a dice, and choose left or right. A review on Board Game Geek nailed it: Talisman is Advanced Chutes and Ladders.

Granted, this is personal preference - I'm sure that I am probably in the minority. But, since you seem to be looking for a good boardgame to play, I figured I'd plug Arkham Horror, since it's one of the best boardgames I've played in a *long* time! Who couldn't have fun struggling to keep the Elder Ones in their place? :)

rushl

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads