• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Synergy between thirsting blade and eldritch scythe.

Cake Mage

Explorer
Its unclear with he wording of Eldritch Scythe. You make a melee spell attack but does specify if you are using a specific weapon (like you pact weapon) and your pact of the blade feature doesn't say you can use your scythe as a pact weapon.. Definitely could use some clarity here.

VenerableBede

Adventurer
Eldritch Scythe can’t be used as your pact weapon. It’s a magical attack that’s created when used and disappears immediately after. At the bare minimum, that means you can’t spend the hour necessary to turn it into your pact weapon - not to mention the fact that, given that it’s not a weapon, it doesn’t qualify for that binding in the first place..

Kouta

Villager
Eldritch Scythe does say that it replaces one of you attacks with the slash so I would read it as yes you get three attacks. You would make two normal weapon attacks then you replace one attack with the scythe, which give you 2 attacks. I don't think it's intentional though.

VenerableBede

Adventurer
Well... Yes, I think that there is wiggle room to interpret it that way, but that's really nitpicky. To be consistent you would also have to be really nitpicky with Thirsting Blade's text "You can attack with your pact weapon twice, instead of once..." Since Eldritch Scythe isn't your pact weapon, you couldn't replace any attack with Eldritch Scythe while benefitting from Thirsting Blade.

Eldritch Scythe can’t be used as your pact weapon. It’s a magical attack that’s created when used and disappears immediately after. At the bare minimum, that means you can’t spend the hour necessary to turn it into your pact weapon - not to mention the fact that, given that it’s not a weapon, it doesn’t qualify for that binding in the first place..
Probably this is the right way to read it. If you are a fighter5/warlock5, you would be able to make 3 attacks which would be only one level earlier than the 3rd fighter or warlock attack. Seems totally ok. The next step would be level 16 instead of 17. Also no problem.

Well... Yes, I think that there is wiggle room to interpret it that way, but that's really nitpicky. To be consistent you would also have to be really nitpicky with Thirsting Blade's text "You can attack with your pact weapon twice, instead of once..." Since Eldritch Scythe isn't your pact weapon, you couldn't replace any attack with Eldritch Scythe while benefitting from Thirsting Blade.
Maybe a clarification would be in order though.

Kouta

Villager
Yeah I mean it's clearly just worded a bit weird in eldritch scythe when it says replace one of your attacks, not sure why it specifies that if not for this reason. But that also seems ridiculous damage at level 5, considering you could then also have an offhand weapon for two additional attacks as a bonus action.

Tedrion

Explorer
So first you have Eldritch Scythe:
Once per turn when you would make a melee weapon attack as part of the Attack action or an opportunity attack, you can instead make a melee spell attack.
Then you have the wording on Extra Blast:
Beginning at 5th level, your Eldritch Blast becomes more vicious. When you use Eldritch Ray, Eldritch Scythe, or Eldritch Whip as part of your action on your turn, you can make two attacks instead of one.
Then Thirsting Blade:
You can attack with your pact weapon twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

This isn't nitpicky..this is the last 7 years of 5e, and having to interpret things this close to the wire. So here is the breakdown that I also read into this.

1. You choose on your Action to take the Attack Action and use your Pact Weapon. Thirsting Blade lets you make 2 attacks.
2. On either of those attacks, you can choose instead of use Eldritch Scythe.
3. Due to Extra Blast, you use Eldritch Scythe twice.

Reading things this way is how this game works. They may come back and errata this, but there are plenty of other classes that get 3 attacks around this time as well. <Looks at Beast Master Ranger>

We've wanted this for awhile. A warlock is not a good class to get into melee range with. They don't have as many hit points, or good armor. So to weigh the risk vs reward...this makes it worth it.

VenerableBede

Adventurer
So first you have Eldritch Scythe:

Then you have the wording on Extra Blast:

Then Thirsting Blade:

This isn't nitpicky..this is the last 7 years of 5e, and having to interpret things this close to the wire. So here is the breakdown that I also read into this.

1. You choose on your Action to take the Attack Action and use your Pact Weapon. Thirsting Blade lets you make 2 attacks.
2. On either of those attacks, you can choose instead of use Eldritch Scythe.
3. Due to Extra Blast, you use Eldritch Scythe twice.

Reading things this way is how this game works. They may come back and errata this, but there are plenty of other classes that get 3 attacks around this time as well. <Looks at Beast Master Ranger>

We've wanted this for awhile. A warlock is not a good class to get into melee range with. They don't have as many hit points, or good armor. So to weigh the risk vs reward...this makes it worth it.
I find your argument persuasive. Now I want to calculate the average DPR…

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads