• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Survey Launch | Player's Handbook Playtest 5 | Unearthed Arcana | D&D

Pedantic

Legend
what happened to the idea of modular rules from the last playtest? we could have a 4e set of options, an over the top anime set of options... maybe each as a book or maybe 1 book with several sets of rule add ons.
I spent a lot of digital ink on assorted forums at the time arguing there simply wasn't a way to produce a modular design that would actually please any of the factions they were aiming at. To be fair, I didn't expect the concept to disappear as completely as it did, but I think my points from a decade ago held up pretty well. "Modularity" doesn't really work in the sense they were suggesting it. You can't add optional elements that replace core design goal decisions.

Remathilis

Legend
what happened to the idea of modular rules from the last playtest? we could have a 4e set of options, an over the top anime set of options... maybe each as a book or maybe 1 book with several sets of rule add ons.
I'm guessing UA proved there wasn't enough appetite for alternative rules. Early UA tried a few expansions or alt systems (Greyhawk initiative being an example) but I don't think any hit that magic 70%. And when you're only doing 3-5 books per year, there isn't enough audience to support using a slot on OSR options, 4e options, etc. Even the most slam dunk of rules expansion (psionics) couldn't get enough support to pass muster. Ergo why most WotC expansion books have played it safe on new subclasses smaller system tweaks (downtime) rather than giving classes ADEU powers.

I'm guessing UA proved there wasn't enough appetite for alternative rules. Early UA tried a few expansions or alt systems (Greyhawk initiative being an example) but I don't think any hit that magic 70%. And when you're only doing 3-5 books per year, there isn't enough audience to support using a slot on OSR options, 4e options, etc. Even the most slam dunk of rules expansion (psionics) couldn't get enough support to pass muster. Ergo why most WotC expansion books have played it safe on new subclasses smaller system tweaks (downtime) rather than giving classes ADEU powers.

It's kind of sad because, honestly, I liked some of that stuff and I wish it had gotten developed more. Greyhawk Initiative was something I toyed around with (with a few fixes) and I found was really cool because you could add in stuff like "casting time" back in: a spell starts at this point and you have so many turns/rounds/etc to stop it before it goes off.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
And in fact, they did deliver a modular design: that's why they can replace every Species & Class, and introduce a new Feat system, without disrupting the game.

Remove ads