• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Sunset Riders Fantasy Western! (Campaign Setting thoughts)

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
@Tonguez

I mostly want to avoid referencing real-world religion and real-world locations directly. I've done some research on Cahokia and the Mississippi river cultures, but the intention is to be a fantasy setting with general analogues, not direct historical references. A nation of Plains Acadians is a goal. Making them specifically Comanche is not what I'm looking to do.

That said: Yeah. "Living with Nature" isn't gonna be a specific -thing- for them. Don't get me wrong. There'll still be groups following the herd or whatever because the prevailing conditions of their environment require it, sure. But also long-term cities. I even added a bunch to my map.

Acadia(2).jpg

New Gold City, Green Valley, Mount Royal, Victory, and Saint's Bay are settler names. Fort Noble, Kingsport, Lowmoon, Lakeview, and Highwood are all native named.

Because Comprehend Languages and Tongues are part of the setting I mostly just gave explicit translation names to different places with a -tiny- bit of artistic license. The Mississippi, for example, is the Old Man River instead of "Father of All Waters".

Steampunkette

Supporter
So... I've gotten nothing back from the cultural consultants I've contacted...

Two of them are sensitivity readers so it may just be they're not looking to do a pre-writing consultation since that's not their standard practice.

The other two typically handle corporate functions where they host $2,500 seminars for 50-100 people to learn to be less bigoted. Sitting on a discord call with a single writer is likely less than interesting (Though apparently the lowest they charge is $175/hour so... maybe they'll reach out, eventually?)

Methinks this may pose a bigger challenge than anticipated. I'm looking for someone offering a service I'm not certain actually exists...

Faolyn

(she/her)

Two of them are sensitivity readers so it may just be they're not looking to do a pre-writing consultation since that's not their standard practice.

The other two typically handle corporate functions where they host $2,500 seminars for 50-100 people to learn to be less bigoted. Sitting on a discord call with a single writer is likely less than interesting (Though apparently the lowest they charge is $175/hour so... maybe they'll reach out, eventually?)

Methinks this may pose a bigger challenge than anticipated. I'm looking for someone offering a service I'm not certain actually exists...
Is this for a personal game or are you actually trying to sell it as a setting?

Steampunkette

Supporter
Is this for a personal game or are you actually trying to sell it as a setting?
"Yes"

This is for something I'm doing for myself. But there are a few people who are eager to see it kickstarted. So we'll see what happens.

But in either case I want to handle the issues surrounding native american allegory characters and nations appropriately.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

Maybe contact the Coyote and Crow people to collab?

DiamondB

Explorer
Supporter
As I was building upon my inspiration from @Steampunkette - you’ve breathed new life into my stagnant campaign world - I sought out musical inspiration. Here’s something I stumbled upon for those interested.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine

If you are willing to take this to DM, I can hit up some contacts. Can I link them to this thread so they can get a sense of what you are looking for?

Steampunkette

Supporter
If you are willing to take this to DM, I can hit up some contacts. Can I link them to this thread so they can get a sense of what you are looking for?
Absolutely. Shoot me a DM whenever you like. Or poke me on Discord. Whatever works! And give them any context you like, thread included.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads