• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sunder and The Pit Fiend

Macbrea

First Post
Ok, i have a question for someone.

If a Pit fiend using its claws Strikes a longsword +2. Does it have to capabilities to Sunder the weapon?

Does its hands count as a +2 weapon for purposes of breaking magic weapons and shields?

hong

WotC's bitch
No; the claws only count as +2 weapons for the purpose of overcoming DR. Sundering a weapon is quite distinct from that. However, IMO it wouldn't be a bad idea to let pit fiends snap magic swords with their bare hands. Technicalities play second fiddle to cinematics. :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
hong said:
Technicalities play second fiddle to cinematics. :)

Yeah, well, to the DM it may seem like cinematics. It's somewhat more likely to be a rules-point to the poor slob whose sword you just broke. Cinematics are all well and good until you're the victim of them, rather than the instigator :)

ruleslawyer

Fine. So make it a house rule. I like the symmetry of creatures with DR being treated as weapons with a "plus" equal to the plus of their DR for purposes of sundering weapons or items.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Re: should I...

The Sigil said:

Should I start a "magic swords are broken" thread? :p

--The Sigil
Only if you write about things like twin +6 vorpal throwing returning greatswords! :cool:

Remove ads