• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Summon Monster I uses

Baumi

Adventurer
HiHo!

I always heard that Summon Monster is a great spell but I never used one and now a new Campaign starts and I wonder if there is any use for the first Level Spell (with 1 round duration)?

Have FUN!
Baumi

Baumi

Adventurer
Just another short question:

How long will the summoned creature stay?

It will be summond in the beginning of my next round (1 round casting spell) and can act immideatly, after I finished my action does it vanish or does it stay till the beginning of my next turn (and give so the other characters the oportunity to help flanking)?

Thanks,
Baumi

Last edited:

Dr_Rictus

First Post
It is hard to use well at 1st level, precisely because of the duration. It's probably best around 2nd-3rd level, when it will stick around a bit (at higher levels, the increased duration typically won't exceed the creature's survival time anyway). Then it will get a few more attacks in, and be more likely to draw attacks from the foes (think of it in terms of augmenting the party's total hit points in that sense).

Also, note that if you're a cleric with an alignment domain, you get an extra round's duration out of summoning a creature of the matching alignment, since summoning (for example) a good creature counts as a "good" spell. That can be criticial for a 1st-level caster.

mikebr99

Explorer
Xarlen said:
Sage answered this in a recent Dragon.

Round 1: Creature summoned and Attacks.
Round 2: Creature disappears.

Sorry Xarlen...

It goes like this:

round 1: character casts spell.
round 2: creature appears and attacks.
round 3: creature disappears.

cloaker

First Post
Cast by a 1st level wizard it sucks.
Magic Missile/Sleep and other stuff are much better.

But at a bit higher levels, when the summoned creature stays around a bit more, I like to use low-level summon monster to summon a creature to flank with the Rogue or to AID OTHER to give +2 AC or +2 attack bonus to someone, most likely the lone fighter against the big ugly monster.
This is great against special strong lone monsters because a celestial dog (summon monster I) can easily hit AC 10 (needed for Aid Other), and then the fighter gains +2 from flanking and can get an adicional +2 to attack or +2 AC. If the big monster doesnt like it, he´ll have to waste an attack on the dog which is better than on the fighter.

cloaker

Xarlen

First Post
mikebr99 said:

Sorry Xarlen...

It goes like this:

I've seen the sage ruling on this. Either in Dragon or on the boards. Either way, I'm going to have to hunt it down.

Bonedagger

First Post
mikebr99 said:

Sorry Xarlen...

It goes like this:

P.148 PHB.: A spell that takes 1 full round to cast is a full-round action. It comes into effect just before the beginning of your turn in the round after you began casting the spell."

You are correct..... It could almost be a rule that it is the opposite of what the sage say (Or what people claim he says.. I have never read anything from that guy :D) that is the right answer :)

Last edited:

Remove ads