• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sudden Shift: What maneuverability when flying?

Nathan

First Post
My question is about the spell-like ability "Sudden Shift" that is described on page 70 in the PHB II. It says:

"You temporarily change your form to grant yourself a climb, fly, or swim speed equal to your current land speed..."

How can I discern which kind of maneuverability I get when using the fly option of this spell-like ability?

Nathan

DarkJester

First Post
Well, they sure don't give one. I'd give them poor or average maneuverability myself as you are basically sprouting wings for a turn.

Nathan

First Post
DarkJester said:
Well, they sure don't give one. I'd give them poor or average maneuverability myself as you are basically sprouting wings for a turn.
I was thinking whether there was a default maneuverability for fly speeds whenever non is given explicitely.

frankthedm

First Post
Nathan said:
I was thinking whether there was a default maneuverability for fly speeds whenever none is given explicitely.
There is not. Average seems fine though.

Fly
A creature with a fly speed can move through the air at the indicated speed if carrying no more than a light load. (Note that medium armor does not necessarily constitute a medium load.) All fly speeds include a parenthetical note indicating maneuverability, as follows:

Perfect: The creature can perform almost any aerial maneuver it wishes. It moves through the air as well as a human moves over smooth ground.
Good: The creature is very agile in the air (like a housefly or a hummingbird), but cannot change direction as readily as those with perfect maneuverability.
Average: The creature can fly as adroitly as a small bird.
Poor: The creature flies as well as a very large bird.
Clumsy: The creature can barely maneuver at all.

A creature that flies can make dive attacks. A dive attack works just like a charge, but the diving creature must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. It can make only claw or talon attacks, but these deal double damage. A creature can use the run action while flying, provided it flies in a straight line.

Flight (Ex or Su)
A creature with this ability can cease or resume flight as a free action. If the ability is supernatural, it becomes ineffective in an antimagic field, and the creature loses its ability to fly for as long as the antimagic effect persists.

Remove ads