• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Subscription levels dropping

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Well I can't say why people are cancelling subscriptions.

I know that I only subscribe because I like the forums. I find many of the discussioins to be very interesting and helpful for my gaming. ANd so I contribute to the site that contributes to my game. (Ain't that warm and fuzzy?)

I've barely glanced at the parts of the site that aren't the forums.
Same here.

That said I do wonder at the objections to Paypal but if people object then Morrus should really offer other means of subscribing. There should be as few as possible obstacles in the way of punters parting with their cash.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Credit card requirements forced me to cancel.

I thought I could just use a temp (Vanilla MasterCard) card picked up for that purpose, but here in Canada at least there are too many strings attached. By strings I mean extra fees, lost money in the case of expiry, and inability to "reload" money on the card unless you purchase a card with even larger extra fees.

I would be happy to support EN World; I cannot afford to support MasterCard.

RC

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
I didn't subscribe because I haven't adopted 4th edition or Pathfinder (I'm still playing 3.5 and Castles & Crusades) and don't find the site as useful/informative/interesting as I used to.

Sadly, with the D&D market as fractured as it is, it's tough to cater to the D&D community nowadays.

Last edited:

Falstaff

First Post
I canceled my subscription because the subscribers' content section just doesn't offer anything for the type of D&D I play: mainly AD&D First Edition and Labyrinth Lord. Now if subscribers were offered some cool articles for First Edition gaming, I'd be subscribing again in a heart beat! B-)

the Jester

Legend
Well, although I've re-upped my sub since, for a couple of months I let it lapse over the Paypal thing.

Russ, I've seen the Paypal complaint several times in this thread already; if even 10% of your lost subs are because of Paypal, it seems worth it to me to look into another way to take payments. I know that in the past you've indicated that it simply isn't practical, but maybe you could add a credit card sub option through the ENWorld store or something. Alternatively, if there IS a way to pay without going through Paypal, nobody seems to know about it.

Drkfathr1

First Post
I'm not a subscriber, but I can echo some of the thoughts already expressed, to explain why I'm not, and possibly help shed some light on what others might be feeling as well.

* I just don't subscribe to online services. Especially message boards.
* The quality of posting on Enworld has declined dramatically in the past few years. Blame that on edition wars if you want, but the overall tone of the site and so many of the threads here now are bitter, spiteful, and combative, no matter what the topic.
* I don't play 4E. The support and focus on 4E isn't something I'm going to pay money for. I understand its the current "official" edition, but its not my game of choice.
* Enworld has been very pro-WOTC, which is fine, and perfectly reasonable, but sometimes it veers into the territory of DRINK THE KOOL-AID! Or, sometimes seems very heavy-handed in disallowing any criticisms of WoTC, even legitimate ones.
* I know Enworld offers a lot to the community, and it has been an excellent resource in the past for the overall gaming community, a truly top-notch site. However, I just don't feel comfortable forking over a monthly payment to a site that's changed so much, so a guy can make a living off of what is essentially just a fan-site.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I'm not a subscriber, but I can echo some of the thoughts already expressed, to explain why I'm not, and possibly help shed some light on what others might be feeling as well.

* I just don't subscribe to online services. Especially message boards.
* The quality of posting on Enworld has declined dramatically in the past few years. Blame that on edition wars if you want, but the overall tone of the site and so many of the threads here now are bitter, spiteful, and combative, no matter what the topic.
* I don't play 4E. The support and focus on 4E isn't something I'm going to pay money for. I understand its the current "official" edition, but its not my game of choice.
* Enworld has been very pro-WOTC, which is fine, and perfectly reasonable, but sometimes it veers into the territory of DRINK THE KOOL-AID! Or, sometimes seems very heavy-handed in disallowing any criticisms of WoTC, even legitimate ones.
* I know Enworld offers a lot to the community, and it has been an excellent resource in the past for the overall gaming community, a truly top-notch site. However, I just don't feel comfortable forking over a monthly payment to a site that's changed so much, so a guy can make a living off of what is essentially just a fan-site.

+1

When ENWorld and I shared an edition this place was an AWESOME resource. I got into OGL games because tof the reviews and reccomendations from people here. I would have never even though to look at games like M&M or Spycraft or companies like Malhavoc, Green Ronin, FFG or AEG. But now? while it technically may not be 4E only it definitely feels like a 4E shop. And that pretty much prohibits me from supporting the site. $3 a month isn't a big deal to me right now. I'm basically giving Paizo $20 month for AP's and more whenever they have Hardcover coming out. But I can't bring myself to support this site because of threads like the "what can WOTC done to bring people back" thread and mostly the folks who took a seemingly productive thread and crapped all over it.

I still check here obviously, but nowadays I'm mostly over at Paizo and other Pathfinder and OGL friendly sites.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
Well, I can only speak as someone who recently started subscribing, but that might still be enlightening.

I'm very new to D&D, and I've found the EN World forums to be a fantastic resource to get plugged into the larger D&D community. I like to read about challenges that other players and DMs face and see how they overcome them. I like the community aspect. I ended up finding my party for an online game here on an EN World forum thread.

Since I was getting so much use out of EN World, I thought that the right thing to do was to sign up to support the community. I'll admit that the ability to actually have a link to my blog in my signature was a factor as well, and I wanted access to the search function (though I don't think I've used it yet). I didn't care at all about the subscriber content - I just wanted to do the right thing and support a site that was very useful to me.

I've since downloaded the first War of the Burning Sky adventure, and it's been pretty good. I won't be running it exactly as written, but there are plenty of hooks that I can use.

I'll echo the comments of others who said that they don't like the recurring monthly fee and would be happier with an annual subscription option (I think $30 per year is very fair). That was a turn-off, but I bit the bullet and subscribed anyway.

To sum up, I'm probably an easy mark for EN World since I play D&D Fourth Edition, I have some disposable income to put toward gaming, and I can ultimately stomach the recurring monthly fee. If any of those things changed, I could see myself canceling my subscription.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Thanks for the input, guys.

Just to reiterate - while other information is certainly valuable, what I'm really digging for here is the reasons for cancellation of an existing subscription (a fairly specific question, I admit). I'm pretty happy with the rate of sign-ups; it's just the recent spate of actual cancellations which has caught my eye.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
The quality of posting on Enworld has declined dramatically in the past few years. Blame that on edition wars if you want, but the overall tone of the site and so many of the threads here now are bitter, spiteful, and combative, no matter what the topic.

...where the same dozen or so posters make the same points they've raised in a hundred previous 20+ page threads...

Confession time.

I never used my Ignore List before ever until this year. I added about a dozen people to it, and the quality of the conversations and my enjoyment of EN World improved greatly almost instantly.

Seriously, there are only about a dozen people who constantly say the same ridiculous things over and over and stir up trouble, and they don't all come from one "side" or "camp". I'm not going to name names, but I think most people know who the greatest offenders are, and if everyone around here made the decision to Ignore the same people (and somehow I doubt there would be any overlap in our Ignore Lists) and refused to "feed the trolls", our community would continue to improve. The hardest part for me was putting several people on my Ignore list that otherwise enjoy the same games I do, but it was necessary to maintain my sanity.

At the end of the day, we're talking about a game. It's not politics, or religion or human rights or what have you.

It's just a game. B-)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads