• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

strangest thing ever?

Ulrick

First Post
I've had thunder rumble very loudly after people have said some dramatic things. It happens when I DM or as a player in certain sessions during thunderstorms.

It's pretty cool when it happens. For example---

Player playing cleric of St. Cuthbert: "I shall avenge the murders of these innocent people! I swear to find the person who killed them and bring divine retribution upon him with hammer and cudgel!"

Thunder outside: CRAK-THOOOOMMMMM!!!

Other players: "Whoa..."

Ulrick

Arani Korden

First Post
Playing Champions several years ago, I had just unleashed my mighty 20d6 Energy Blast against a recurring villain. I rolled the enormous handful of dice, and watched them bounce . . . and bounce . . . and bounce. At the exact moment I rolled the dice, a minor earthquake hit. The dice jiggled around the table for about five minutes.

Shin Okada

Explorer
It was when I was a high school student (long years ago), some younger friends in the school were trying to play Runequest for the first time. They have read the rule, and made their first characters, two of them have rolled up very strong warriors with greatsword. It takes them two hours or so, IIRC.

Then they start to play. They met their first foe, bandits or something. Two warriors charged toward them. Then, the first one swung his massive greatsword ... onto his left leg. The sword cut off his leg. Then, another warrior yelled war cry and swung his massive greatsword ... onto his left leg. And cut off his leg, too.

They never played Rune Quest again.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Improbible events: I think my friend Evan wins hands-down. He tried to convince the DM to allow him to make a special attack, and the DM decided to allow it, making up the appropriate rules.

His paladin character has a vial of extra-strong acid and wanted to throw it in the eye of a dragon he was talking with. The DM required a natural 20 crit, confirmed with a natural 20, followed by a hit (we don't use instant kill) to have a chance to throw it in the dragon's eye; he would then make an attack roll opposed by the dragon's Reflex save to get it in the eye before its eyelids closed. After this, he'd have to roll damage to see it it was enough...

Paladin's attack roll: 20 (die #1)
Paladin's confirmation: 20 (die #2)
Paladin's second confirmation: 20 (die #2)
Paladin's opposed attack roll: 17 (die #2)
Dragon's opposed save: 1 (die #2)

Al

First Post
This has to rank pretty highly.

In an old 2e High-Level Campaigns campaign, the PCs were retrieving an artifact from the clutches of a Paragon Death Knight at the bottom of an ancient pyramid.

The PCs walk in and the Death Knight gives his normal blurb about foolish adventurers etc. before commanding his minions to attack furiously.

Rolling for initiative, the party wild mage won. He kicked off by casting a nice assault spell on the Death Knight, but had to roll for wild spellcasting. He rolled a surge.

Slightly anxious that he may have blown one of his top spells, he rolled tentatively on the surge result. When I looked up the result, I let loose a wry smile:

'Target falls madly in love with caster until a dispel magic'.

Well, it made for interesting roleplay. The Death Knight helped despatch his erstwhile minions, and then agreed to be reincarnated. Noting the gender problem, he chose to be reincarnated as a woman (I believe they used wish to get it spot on). She proved a valuable ally and certainly the most obscure origins for any romance I've ever seen.

darry

First Post
This took place in a 2nd ed. Planescape game I ran over the summer about three years ago. I'd been playing with the same crew for around four years at that point, and as it goes with all groups like that, you get used to what your players and your DM are going to do.

My PCs thought they were Mazed, but in actuality, were in the grasp of some Matrix-like complex illusory reality. (Mind you, this was at least a year -before- that film. :p) They chance upon a chamber whose floor is solid ice - a frost giant sits at its center, feasting on... something. I expect 1st-level players to avoid the giant at all costs, but that day, we'd picked up a new player. As his first action ever in my game, this player jumped atop a chunk of ice sitting on the floor, pushed off, and slid right by the giant, attempting to shoot it in the eye -as he passed by-. So I told him to roll to hit twice. Hits the first time around, for our little house rule, and -crits- for the actual hit. So I consult my piercing crit chart.

13 - "Weapon punctures target's eye - instant death."

That guy made three levels right there.

2WS-Steve

First Post
In a GURPS Supers game I ran one player took a telekinetic character that was a disembodied brain. He had his brain encased in a special spherical housing made of Chobham armor that granted him a damage resistance of 150; then he'd float around telekinetically and beat up monsters and bad guys. Since he was a disembodied brain if he took 1 point of damage he'd fall unconscious; 2 points meant death.

Being a rather mean GM I never had a problem with tough characters; I'd just make tougher monsters. So I toss a Stainless Steel Roc at the group that does somewhere around 40-50d6 damage with wing slashes. The Roc swoops down at the brain, hits, and rolls 151 points of damage exactly; one more would have killed him and one less would have bounced...

UD

First Post
I once rolled a 123 in Cyberpunk 2020 trying to shoot this invisible fullborg.

The GM's like, you think you see something, Im likee, I try and shoot it. Hes like your going to have to roll an insanely high number.... Before I go on in case you don't know cyber punk uses 'open dice' as in if you roll a 10, you roll again and add it to your score. I rolled 10, 10s and a 2, to add to my total rifle and reflex score to get 123.

Remove ads