• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Stop thinking of Pathfinder as magazine issues

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I'm not with Paizo, so what I'm saying could be wrong:

Eldragon said:
1) How long are these adventures? (Playtime wise and pages wise)? Seems like with 1 release a month I will fall behind rather quickly.

96 pages in all, and I think about half of it is extra material (like instant characters, new monsters, setting information....).

The first adventure will take characters from 1st to 3rd/4th, and others also do two to three level-ups, so depending on how long/fast/often you play, it might be enough.

2) Can someone give me a better idea of what to expect in each issue? I read the previews, but they are short on details. I figured someone who has been a Dungeon subscriber would give me a better idea.

Since this is a new format, we can't be too sure, but check out their blog for more info.

They said that it was part adventure, part extra material. The extra material differs from issue to issue, it's feats, spells, PrC's, monsters, setting info, and so on.

4) How connected are each of the issues? Are there major overarching plot lines crossing each issue? If so, then if I subscribe 6 months after the product was released, would I not be able to pick up the story?

Incidentally, it would be no problem at all: There are different adventure parts, each spanning 6 issues (going over half a year). So you could always skip half a year and enter again with another adventure path.

Jack99

Adventurer
$20 doesnt seem that bad all things considering. When I look at what else there is released (ie what else there is to spend my money on), it seems like a mighty good place to put my money.

I have already subscribed.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
*thinks of Pathfinder as a magazine, just to be contrary*

Technically, it does fit the definition of a magazine, being a periodical with articles or stories. It just doesn't fit the traditional, relatively fragile format. So, I propose we use the more sophisticated term of "serial publication".

DM_Jeff

Explorer
I am taking a wait-and-see approach right now, but I have a sneaking suspicion they'll win me over. Their maps, layout, color, artwork, and downright interesting story hooks seem to be in overdrive to make this product work for them so far, so I'm pleased with that.

It's sad however we won't have any monsters with templates from MMV, or a swashbuckler or warlock villain or other official monsters referenced. I enjoyed Dungeon & Dragon being able to expand on all the new WotC rules, and being regulated to the SRD (and making their own versions of all the "off-limits monsters") will put them in the field with every other module-maker there is.

But, as I said above, I think they are working hard to stand above the average module maker, from what I've seen. I'll get the first issue book :) and decide from there.

-DM Jeff

Vocenoctum

First Post
Nlogue said:
Hey Fafhrd!

I don't want to get too specific, for I wouldn't want any WotC affiliated readers under the impression I was doing "Conversion Notes" (as that would be illegal methinks).

WotC has always been really easy on fansites, and even publishers get numerous warnings before bad stuff happens to them. Unofficial "how I'm doing this in Eberron" wouldn't even draw their eye probably.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
How many people here currently spend over $200 a year on just adventures? And I know Pathfinder has more than adventures, but I think it's clear it's marketed primarily as an adventure series of books, and most content is based on the adventure. So, how many people were already spending that much elsewhere on adventures?

My guess...not many. It's too much money for published adventures.

Tetsubo

First Post
Whether you view Pathfinder as a magazine or not, it IS a product model that I have no interest in. While I was a loyal Dragon subscriber and an occasional purchaser of Dungeon. I also have no interest in the WoTC DI concept. So I guess I can save my money and spend it on gaming products I do want...

crazy_cat

Adventurer
Mistwell said:
How many people here currently spend over $200 a year on just adventures? And I know Pathfinder has more than adventures, but I think it's clear it's marketed primarily as an adventure series of books, and most content is based on the adventure. So, how many people were already spending that much elsewhere on adventures?

My guess...not many. It's too much money for published adventures.
My guess - more than you'd think. :) $200 is about £100 - I know I spend that easily on adventures in a year (and then some)

This last years purchases - Aerie of teh Crow God, 2 or 3 other DCC's, Red Hand of Doom, Expeditions to the Demonweb Pits and Ravenloft, Barrow of the Forgotten King, The Sinister Spire, various FR adventures, Subscription to Dungeon, The Witchfire Collection, Necropolis, The Redwood Scar..... and probably a few I've forgotten (oh, and some CoC adventures, and a CDROM with all the old TRaveller modules on it, and a few WFRP adventures)

EDIT: And yes, I have subscribed to Pathfinder :)

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Mistwell said:

$200 a year is a lot to spend on adventures, but is it a lot to spend on a campaign? Pathfinder is much more than just adventures. Half of each volume includes background information on the campaign, player and GM advice on running it, new monsters, information on a new campaign setting, etc.

People interested in getting one-off adventures are better off taking a look at our GameMastery Module line.

--Erik

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads