• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Stop sneaking! They'll hear you!"

Bigassgeek

First Post
Here's a bit of 4E weirdness:

On page 37 of the DMG, regarding monsters hearing PCs approaching:

"If the PCs are moving at normal speed through the dungeon and making no attempt at stealth, monsters in a room behind a door hear them with a DC 25 Perception check (active or passive).

OK, fair enough. But then there's the next sentence:

"If the PCs are quiet, the PCs make a Stealth check with a +5 bonus... to set the monsters' Perception DC."

So if the DM follows the advice given on page 36 and calls for a Stealth roll from the least stealthy PC, a low level party has a much better chance of avoiding detection by not trying to avoid detection. Assuming the clumsiest, loudest PC has a total base bonus of +2, he'd need to roll an 18 or higher to be sneakier by sneaking than he would be by NOT sneaking.

Buh?

Now, I'm pretty gung-ho about 4E, and this little "Murphy's Rule" should be easy enough to fix. I think I know how I'll handle it. How would you?

Regicide

Banned
Banned
Bigassgeek said:
Now, I'm pretty gung-ho about 4E, and this little "Murphy's Rule" should be easy enough to fix. I think I know how I'll handle it. How would you?

I'm thinking my solution is going to be to play a different game system that doesn't have milestones or healing surges. Conan is very nice and has very limited healing without the retardedness of 4E.

Family

First Post
This happens a lot to the rogue in my group, he wants to sneak everywhere, but the odds of 1 of the 6 party members rolling bad (or even average) vs one of a bunch of enemies rolling goodish is EXTREMELY low.

I'm gonna start giving the enemies 1 roll, IF he starts scouting ahead like has been suggested by the group. Should be interesting.

Fredrik Svanberg

First Post
Regicide said:
I'm thinking my solution is going to be to play a different game system that doesn't have milestones or healing surges. Conan is very nice and has very limited healing without the retardedness of 4E.

That's helpful. If you now just would stop posting nonsense like this on a board about a game you obviously don't like, it would be absolutely perfect.

ZetaStriker

First Post
Has Regicide done anything but troll even once? I only ever see him pop in with a quick insult towards 4th Edition before disappearing, and I can't help but feel that it's an alternate account someone uses whenever they want to troll 4th Edition.

Zherynn

First Post
I saw this come up in a different thread a little while ago. I believe the people discussing it over there decided it was probably a mistake, and the DC was supposed to be 15 (base 10 + 5 for being through a door). That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Zephyrus

First Post
Don't have the books yet (saving money by pre-ordering via paizo = extra days of waiting anxiously for it to come in the mail, groans! love paizo, just the wait is painful, okay back on topic)... But... is it possible that PC's attempting to be quiet (taking 10 hitting a simple DC 10 or 15 stealth check perhaps) results in it pushing the DC from 25 to 30 to be heard? Do you think the rule was written in the spirit of being a directly contested skill check or as a indirect contest?

pawsplay

Hero
Fredrik Svanberg said:
That's helpful. If you now just would stop posting nonsense like this on a board about a game you obviously don't like, it would be absolutely perfect.

For all you know, he might have have just made up his mind. I mean, that is a doozy. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads