• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Stalker0's High Level Fighter

Stalker0

Legend
A lot of ideas are being thrown around for high level fighters at the moment, so I thought I would throw my hat in the ring and showcase this model.

Now to start out, I do NOT think this fighter fully solves the problem of high level casters. I’ve come to terms with the notion that a very strong and vocal part of the audience wants to keep their fighters mundane at any level. With that in mind, I have attempted to close the gap, with the acknowledgment that its virtually impossible to completely catch up without some magical assistance.

My design goals with these abilities are as follows:
  • Flexibility: Casters get to use different tools (aka spells) to adapt to different encounters. We want the fighter to share in some of that flexibility.
  • Consistency: At higher levels, more spells have abilities without saves, aka effects that just “work”. Its only fair to give the fighter’s some cool abilities that work beyond the dice, they just simply work.
  • Exploration and Social Pillar: While the fighter remains high on the combat pillar, we want to expand them more in the Exploration and Social space, to give a more well rounded class.
And so,

Stalker0’s High Level Fighter

*=Ability that was modified

**=new ability
Note: Any level not shown here is the same as the core fighter.

9th​
+4​
Indomitable*
10th​
+4​
Martial Archetype feature
11th​
+4​
Extra Attack (2)
12th​
+4​
Adaptive Style**
13th​
+5​
Authority**
14th​
+5​
Sentinel**
15th​
+5​
16th​
+5​
Ability Score Improvement
17th​
+6​
Action Surge (two uses)
18th​
+6​
19th​
+6​
Adaptive Style**
20th​
+6​
Invincible**

Indomitable – The fighter can use this ability to automatically pass a saving throw, or to turn one hit into a miss. Refresh on Short Rest.

--Designer Note: Around 9th level, casters start gaining spells that no longer require saving throws, and in general gain very strong effects. To counter, we give the fighter a strong defense. WOTC has really overestimated the power of a saving throw reroll, especially at these levels. So we are going to give this ability a very solid buff. Players love immunities and guaranteed abilities, and it’s cool and flavorful to confidentially shrug off an attack or spell no matter the DC. Yet the ability remains mundane, for it provides the fighter nothing that lucky dice rolls couldn’t muster. The ability also now refreshes on a short rest to more strongly showcase the fighter as an encounter type fighter.

Adaptive Style – The fighter has trained his body to handle any situation, and can focus his mind to accomplish any task. Select any feat from the following list (list not provided for this example) or any feat with the “adaptive” keyword. As a bonus action, you may swap the feat with another viable option. The feat benefit remains until the feat is swapped.

At 19th level, the fighter gains a second feat to use with this ability. All swaps refresh on a Short Rest.

--Designer Note: The simple truth is, you ask 10 people on the forums what abilities a fighter should have, and you’ll get 10 different answers. There is no substitute for the flexibility a caster has by gaining a new spell into their arsenal, but the closest equivalent are feats.

Adaptive Style turns the high-level Fighter into a true “everyman” and is one of the cornerstones of his move into high levels. The fighter can adjust his feats to meet the encounter at hand, giving him unparalleled flexibility. The ability can be used for combat but also in theory to help with the social and exploration pillars. What’s also great is we don’t need a new custom list of abilities, we can already utilize the feats that have been created, and simply add new feats to provide additional abilities to the fighter as needed.

Also, for simpler play, this can just remain a static feat slot that no one ever changes, so the simple-focused player can still enjoy it.

Authority: The fighter’s reputation and commanding presence create a sense of awe and devotion in all those of military mind. All nonn-hostile soldiers, warriors, and members of military organizations whose level or CR are lower than your fighter level are charmed by you. If these forces are hostile, or become hostile, they make a charisma saving throw (DC 8 + prof bonus + cha mod) or become frightened of you. A creature that passes the saving throw is immune to the effect for 24 hours.

--Designer Notes: So, while somewhat a combat ability, the primary goal of Authority is to give the Fighter a fun social pillar ability. Fighters have long held a tradition in dnd of being “leaders”, leading strongholds, gathering followers, etc.

This ability gives the Fighter’s that strong niche, but not too “overtly”. A player could certainly work with the DM to use authority to pick up some followers, but it’s not just handwaved by the power. This is also a great DM lever to pull, the DM can introduce various organizations or soldiers to give the fighter an immediate opportunity to flex some social muscle. What’s also nice is this ability does not overlap too much with other social pillars. The paladin and bard still reign supreme with normal people, but the fighter now gets a strong bonus with “his people”.

On the offense side, giving the Fighter a fear aura for a specific niche of enemies seems appropriate for the higher levels. While the fighter is not normally high in charisma, since it’s a charisma saving throw, its in effect a charisma vs charisma effect…which is appropriate for fear.

Sentinel: After surviving dozens of ambushes, the fighter has gained a sixth sense to the location of his foes. The fighter knows the exact location of all hostile creatures within 30 feet, provided he has line of sight to the location. The fighter can even detect hidden and invisible creatures, but gains no special combat benefits against them.

--Designer Notes: This Exploration Pillar ability gives the Fighter a very useful ability in navigating dungeon spaces, as he is able to notice upcoming threats and ambushes before they trigger. This also is a way to somewhat deal with invisible enemies that tend to be common high-level threats. The rogue still dominates in the trap area, and the ranger still excels at long distance tracking, so this ability doesn’t hinder any niche protection.

Invincible: When the body is broken and exhausted, the fighter collects himself, and proves that he is a warrior without peer. As a free action, the fighter gains the ability of a short rest. This recharges on a long rest.

--Designer’s Note: Honestly Extra Attack is a decent capstone, but the fighter already differentiates itself with 3 attacks at lower levels. The goal is to end the game with a bang, and so we add in a new capstone that is the culmination of everything the fighter has brought in to date.

More action surge, more second wind, more indomitable…. You can push the fighter to the brink, but the 20th level fighter will show you his full power all over again. It is still mundane compared to casters, but few could argue the coolness and power of instantly recovering all of your toys when you need them most.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Now to start out, I do NOT think this fighter fully solves the problem of high level casters. I’ve come to terms with the notion that a very strong and vocal part of the audience wants to keep their fighters mundane at any level. With that in mind, I have attempted to close the gap, with the acknowledgment that its virtually impossible to completely catch up without some magical assistance.
Hang on... to evaluate your design we must first learn what problems it is trying to solve. Maybe you have discussed this elsewhere... otherwise, let me ask:

What is "the problem of high level casters"?
What do you mean by keeping fighters mundane?

I'm asking because to me there's nothing "mundane" about a hero single-handedly killing an adult red dragon, or wrestling epic monsters into the ground.

What, exactly, is the problem a high-level Fighter faces? I'm not trying to say there aren't any - I'm trying to get you to spell out the issues, so we can give you more feedback than "great" or "don't like it", instead getting a chance to evaluate if your design solves any specific issues :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What do you mean by keeping fighters mundane?

I'm asking because to me there's nothing "mundane" about a hero single-handedly killing an adult red dragon, or wrestling epic monsters into the ground.
I don't want to speak for him, but typically mundane means "not magical" in D&D terms.

Stalker0

Legend
I don't want to speak for him, but typically mundane means "not magical" in D&D terms.

agreed. I tried to list list out my thoughts in the design goals, but in summary:

1) address some of the flexibility issues between fighters and casters. Casters have a wide range of tools, and several of them can even swap their tools on a daily or short rest basis. So we want to give the fighter a similar ability to swap their tools to meet the challenges of the given encounter.

2) allow the fighter to Handle some of the routine high level challenges more easily without the need for spells or magical assistances. Examples would be invisible creatures, flying, harsh planar terrain. I don’t address all of these directly, but the adaptive style ability opens up feat space to do so (a feat to grant “endure elements”, a feat to make thrown weapons super cool to use against flying enemies, etc)

3) the fighter currently has almost no social or exploration pillar abilities and therefore has trouble contributing in these areas of the game...especially at higher levels. So we want to give the fighter some power in this context.

4) mundane means the fighter can do these things in a way that in non magical in game terms, and that players will accept is non magical based on the “rules of dnd”. This one is always a bit tricky is it’s somewhat eye of the beholder, so it requires a lot of feedback.

5) scale the abilities to high level standards. Indomitable is too restricted when casters are getting 9th level spells, and that being the main scale at high levels doesn’t cut it

battlebaby

Villager
I'm not saying your suggestions are bad.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but the social pillar in 5E is Charisma ability, Deception, Persuasion, Insight skills, friends and charm spells. There is anything else, any social class features?

Other games you get things like Reputation, Influence, Fame, Contacts, Allies, manipulation or diplomacy tokens.

Charisma give no benefit to a fighter unless he has some skill proficiency in interaction skills. Classes with Charisma as key ability or Charisma with key spellcasting ability have an advantage on this pillar. Interaction skills you can get by picking a background.

Barbarian suffer from the same issue. There is any interest in a social barbarian? An archetype can help to create the social fighter IMHO.

Last edited:

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I think these are neat ideas! I especially like the swappable feats ("Swappable Feats" would be a good album name).

I like the spirit of the Authority feature, but I wonder about it being always activated. Are there other high-level class features that are always on?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but the social pillar in 5E is Charisma ability, Deception, Persuasion, Insight skills, friends and charm spells. There is anything else, any social class features?

You could count the thief cant and druidic feature as social features. Basic 5e is kinda...well...basic when it comes to things out-of-combat that arent spells. There's often mentions of stronghold and retainers rules that could be added for a more interesting social pillars. I personally love the Audience rules from AiME, a sort of ''skill challenge'' to gain favor or leverage from a NPC.
The DMG has rules for Loyalty and Reaction rolls. I used them and its pretty fun.

But yeah, aside from skill checks and spells, the social aspect of the fiction is mostly left to roleplay: some will appreciate it, others (like me) prefer to have barely-mechanical flavor features (''ribbons'') in the class progression.

There is any interest in a social barbarian?

The Thane, to play the charismatic war-leader leading your horde from the front, often associated with powerful Shouts instead of Rage.

Stalker0

Legend
I like the spirit of the Authority feature, but I wonder about it being always activated. Are there other high-level class features that are always on?

This is a good observation and a keynote for what I am pursuing with the fighter. Many social powers are done through spells: Speak any language, speak with the dead or animals, read minds, detecting lies, dominating minds, planar communication, etc.

At 14th level, casters have 7th level spells. In comparison, the ability to charm a niche group of people is pretty quaint. But...its the fact that its always on and just "works" that makes it special...even if its still fairly mundane. Casters still rule in their power and ability to break the rules, but the fighter's "duration" on his ability gives it a way to compete in a different way.

Remove ads