• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stacking Flaming and Shocking?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
kreynolds said:

Have I ever told you how much of a jerk you are? :p

Your numbers are correct rules-wise. Since many magic item prices are primarily decided upon by how useful the item is, I don't really think that this scabbard would be worth 237,600gp. ;) First of all, let's consider the maximum potential use of the scabbard. A +1 flaming/shocking/acidic/frost/sonic weapon would cost a minimum of 72,000gp. Obviously, this scabbard isn't worth more than that. What do ya' think about pricing the scabard somewhere around 10,000gp to 20,000gp? Too cheap or too expensive?

Disclaimer: I have purposefully refrained from putting too much thought and planning into this magic item so as to encourage the wonderful and purposefull colaberative discussion that are meant to take place here. People helping people. Yeah, for some reason I'm feeling really hippy right this second. :D

*shrug* I still say just spend 2,000 gp on a Glove of Storing. You can store it fully activated, and retrieve it as a free action.

The Iron Mark

First Post
Damn, the thread all the stuff was on is gone now. It was a while ago. I think it started with Customer Service, then the Sage agreed. I don't think it's that unbalancing to have all the enhancments activate with one command word.

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
Caliban said:

*shrug* I still say just spend 2,000 gp on a Glove of Storing. You can store it fully activated, and retrieve it as a free action.

I'd pay 10,000 gp for that scabbard, as it does not take up a slot, whereas the Gloves do.

To limit it, make the enchantment it so that the anti-magic effect only affects energy weapons (Nothing else that can fit within the scabbard can be affected by the anti-magic.). The scabbard can also be specific to a type of weapon (such as short sword) or even a single specific weapon (this specific short sword), if you still feel that's too powerful...

I like the last idea, because the idea of a matching scabbard for a blade appeals to me. :)

Xarlen

First Post
Well ya! There's lots of neat things for your scabbard. Like the sheath of poison, in Monte's book. Or, a sheath that bestows a 'Keen' on your weapon (Scabbard of sharpening) once a day.

Of course, if you're going to be snippy and cheap and not buy one, then why not do this: Know you're going to get into a fight soon? Have your cleric or wizard cast Resist Elements or Endure Elements on your scabbard for as many energy types as you need, then turn it on, and there. Now, do that every day.

I'll also toss my hat into the arguement about the weapon on continually.

A 20th level fighter attacks five times. Haste him, that's ten. Now, imagine him having a Flaming weapon. That's 10d6 of fire damage. Now, he does this within the span of six seconds. IF he can do that much fire damage IN SIX SECONDS simply by smacking something ten times, Imagine what the weapon is doing if it's continually held agains tsomething.

And, about the steam of the weapon exploding out, why not just make some vents in the sheath, to let the steam out?

Crothian

First Post
kreynolds said:

Have I ever told you how much of a jerk you are? :p

Not lately. You tell everone else how much a jerk they are, but neve me. It wasn't alway this way. I remeber a time when we first meet and you used to tell me I was a jerk all the time. What happened to that? What happened to that kreynolds? The Kreynolds I was a jerk to all those years. (We'll see if people get this as the joke its meant to be.)

Your numbers are correct rules-wise. Since many magic item prices are primarily decided upon by how useful the item is, I don't really think that this scabbard would be worth 237,600gp. ;) First of all, let's consider the maximum potential use of the scabbard. A +1 flaming/shocking/acidic/frost/sonic weapon would cost a minimum of 72,000gp. Obviously, this scabbard isn't worth more than that. What do ya' think about pricing the scabard somewhere around 10,000gp to 20,000gp? Too cheap or too expensive?

The only other use I can thing of would be sneaking in magical swords to places that don't allow them. However, I'm unclear on if the scabbard would be seen as magical itself. So, I'd say about 10-12K should be good.

Disclaimer: I have purposefully refrained from putting too much thought and planning into this magic item so as to encourage the wonderful and purposefull colaberative discussion that are meant to take place here. People helping people. Yeah, for some reason I'm feeling really hippy right this second. :D

I know, it's just when the anti magic spell was brought up as the solution it occured to me how insanely expensive that would be just for a not that imporessive function. I like the irony of it all. :D

Crothian

First Post
Xarlen said:

A 20th level fighter attacks five times. Haste him, that's ten. Now, imagine him having a Flaming weapon. That's 10d6 of fire damage. Now, he does this within the span of six seconds. IF he can do that much fire damage IN SIX SECONDS simply by smacking something ten times, Imagine what the weapon is doing if it's continually held agains tsomething.

20th level fighters attack 4 times a round, and haste only adds a partial action (or one attack). Haste no longer doubles your attacks, but then again it no longer ages you.

Crothian

First Post
Xarlen said:
So a fighter doesn't attack with all of his BAB attacks, when Hasted?

A 20th level fighter has the following attacks +20/+15/+10/+5. To perform all of them he has to take a full round action. The Haste spell only provides an extra partial action. So, only one attack can be made with the partial action. So, A hasted fighter that is attacking all he can would look like this: +20/+20/+15/+10/+5. The extra +20 is the partial action. It is at the best BAB bonus and can come before or after the Full attack action.

Xarlen

First Post
I'm confused.

You have your attack action, and your move action, within a regular round. Now, 5th level, a fighter has a BAB of +5. To attack, he attacks. It's an attack action. Right?

Now, the next level, he gets a second attack. +6/+1. Now, when does using the full BAB change from an attack action, to a Full Round action?

kreynolds

First Post
Xarlen said:
Now, when does using the full BAB change from an attack action, to a Full Round action?

The full attack action is always a full round action in 3rd edition, and it also allows a 5-foot step. Haste only grants a partial action. You can perform anything in a partial action that you can normally perform in a standard action. The difference between the partial action and the standard action is that a standard action and a move or move-equivalent action can be performed in the same round. However, a partial action only, and usually, allows a 5-foot step as well.

A single attack can be performed in one standard or partial action. If you want to take all of your attacks, you must take the full attack action, which only allows a 5-foot step.

For example, two of the times that partial actions come into play are 1) when you are hasted, you get an additional partial action per round, and 2) when you are slowed, you are restricted to one partial action per round. These are not the only two situations in which you will see this happen, but they're probably the most common.

You do actually play 3rd edition, right? ;) Just pokin'. Hope that helps though.

Remove ads