• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spring Attack with Touch Spell?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Can you use the Spring Attack feat with a Touch spell? Technically, it says that you must use a melee weapon. Does this also mean that monks and others with Unarmed Attack can't use this feat?

SRD said:
Spring Attack [General]
Prerequisites

Dex 13, Dodge, Mobility, base attack bonus +4.
Benefit

When using the attack action with a melee weapon, you can move both before and after the attack, provided that your total distance moved is not greater than your speed.

Note: are the results identical for Improved Flyby (which is nearly identical to Spring Attack and requires both Dodge and Mobility as prerequisites)?

Last edited:

Drowbane

First Post
TarionzCousin said:
Can you use the Spring Attack feat with a Touch spell? Technically, it says that you must use a melee weapon. Does this also mean that monks and others with Unarmed Attack can't use this feat?

Note: are the results identical for Improved Flyby (which is nearly identical to Spring Attack and requires both Dodge and Mobility as prerequisites)?
Spring Attack: no
Fly-by (and/or Improved): yes

And there is a feat in Complete Adventurer that also lets you move and cast... I'd have to look it up.

Drowbane said:
Spring Attack: no

If the caster wanted to move, cast the touch spell (including the attack), and move again, I'd agree.

If, however, the spell was cast in a prior round, and the attacker was simply holding the charge, I'd probably allow it.

Drowbane

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
If the caster wanted to move, cast the touch spell (including the attack), and move again, I'd agree.

If, however, the spell was cast in a prior round, and the attacker was simply holding the charge, I'd probably allow it.

Oh, right. If the touch spell is already in "charge" mode... then yea... spring attack away. Thanks for pointing that out, Ari.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Drowbane said:
And there is a feat in Complete Adventurer that also lets you move and cast... I'd have to look it up.
That's the one I want, then.

I think I'm going with Move, Cast, Move, using the Reach Spell Metamagic Feat from Complete Divine to cast my touch spells as 30' Rays instead. Ahh, it feels good. :p

Moon-Lancer

First Post
the feat is called moble casting or something like that. i forget if it provokes, but what it does it let you cast as apart of another move action. You need to make a really high concentration check or you blow the spell.

i could be a little off on how it works though.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Moon-Lancer said:
the feat is called moble casting or something like that. i forget if it provokes, but what it does it let you cast as apart of another move action. You need to make a really high concentration check or you blow the spell.

i could be a little off on how it works though.

Mobile Spellcaster. You move up to your base speed AND cast the spell (which can include a touch attack, if it's a touch spell, as normal) as a standard, leaving you with another move action to escape. The thing is, to use it for spring attack touches, you need a HUGE concentration modifier. Using the feat itself requires a DC either 15 or 20 + spell level check (i think it's 20), and if you want to cast defensively, you do both asa single check, at 5 points higher DC (so, 20 or 25 + spell level). I highly recommend Tumble if you wish to go this route.

Dheran

First Post
TarionzCousin said:
Yes, you can, and so can Monks. An unarmed attack (touch or not) is an attack with a melee weapon. Here's the nesting of headings in the Equipment chapter that get us to the relevant statement:
Weapons
Weapon Categories
Light, One-Handed, and Two-Handed Melee Weapons

Light

An unarmed strike is always considered a light weapon.​
Also, here's a response from WotC Customer Service:
Q When the Snap Kick feat mentions "When you make a melee attack with one or more melee weapons" is unarmed strike considered a "melee weapon" for the purposes of activating snap kick?
A Yes indeed, unarmed strike would count.

The Shadow Lich

First Post
There are monsters in the monsters manual that have spring attack and no melee weapon. The greater shadow for instance. So yes a monk can still spring attack.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads