Spending Experience Points to Buy Feats

Shellman

First Post
Interesting idea!

I would almost say that the xp cost should be equivilant to 3 class levels.

So a 1st lvl non-human PC with an extra feat = a 4th lvl character.

But I am not sure a feat should be equal to a Level Adjustment like that. It seems like a really steep xp cost, but how do you prevent players from abusing it.

I think this would really end up hurting spell caster's in the long run!

Character's should still have to meet the pre-req's for the feat.

If anyone can figure out a balancing way to implement this, let me know!

Crothian

First Post
If you want a system like this I suggest a PDF called Buy the Numbers. But personally, I'd just switch it to one feat per level instead of a feat every third.

mirivor

First Post
My group is currently playing a campaign where every character gets a bonus feat at first level and then a feat every odd level thereafter. It has worked out really nice. Not too powerful, but a lot better than the very stringent every third level presented in the core books. Try it!

nonamazing

Explorer
Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, but after reflection it seems like there's not an easy way to use exp as a currency for feats without either a specific cost structure for each feat (which would be complicated and quite possibly take a long time to set up), or by using exp as a currency for everything, (that is, using a levelless point-buy system {which is actually something I find interesting--Buy the Numbers looks neat--but I'd be wary of making things too complicated for my players}).

mirivor said:
My group is currently playing a campaign where every character gets a bonus feat at first level and then a feat every odd level thereafter. It has worked out really nice. Not too powerful, but a lot better than the very stringent every third level presented in the core books. Try it!

This does seem like a good idea. I think this is what I'll probably go with. Has anybody else done the same thing?

Sorcica said:
Also, Upper Krust's CR system found on this very board (Immortals Handbook thread) can be a good guide. It has been for me. A feat equals 0.2 CR. A character lvl is CR1. So if a character has bought 5 extra feats, he is +1 CR.

Hmm...that's a really useful rule of thumb, thank you. I'll definitely use that to help keep things balanced.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I think that UK has decided that a better rule of thumb is that 6 feats = +1 CR. And that one level of wealth is worth 2 feats. (or +0.333 of a CR).

Aeric

Explorer
If your goal is to give your players more feats, instead of tinkering with the core of the rules, why not just simply give them more feats? Perhaps a feat a level above and beyond what the game normally provides for. Just make sure that your NPCs get an increase in feats as well, and it will remain balanced.

genshou

First Post
I third the feat every level motion. It's done wonderful things for my game ever since I implemented it. (while the party members were all still 1st-level, luckily).

I'm also a fan of Upper Krust's CR system. Simply assigning a CR modifier for those extra feats means that after spending the XP, the player won't be able to have hundreds of extra feats with no increase in effective level.

Remove ads