Spell Storing

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
A ring of spell storing contains up to ten levels of spells
that the wearer can cast. Each spell has a caster level equal to
the minimum level needed to cast that spell...
A spellcaster can cast any spells into the ring, so long as
the total spell levels do not add up to more than ten.
So if I, a 15th level cleric, cast Divine Favor on myself, I get a +5 bonus to hit and damage. But if I cast Divine Favor into this ring and give it to my fighter friend, it comes out as a 1st level caster (+1 bonus) when he uses it? Yuck. I think I'll just keep my 90,000gp. :)

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Ki Ryn said:

So if I, a 15th level cleric, cast Divine Favor on myself, I get a +5 bonus to hit and damage. But if I cast Divine Favor into this ring and give it to my fighter friend, it comes out as a 1st level caster (+1 bonus) when he uses it? Yuck. I think I'll just keep my 90,000gp. :)

Sure, if you put crappy level dependent spells into it doesn't seem that great.

Or you try and be intelligent instead and cast Mass Heal into the ring, or Restoration, or Antimagic Field, or Summon Monster VII, or any combination of spells that don't have level dependent benefits.

Or get an arcan caster to put spells like Mass Haste, Shield, Stone Skin, Tensers Transformation, or whatever so that you can cast them.

Uller

Adventurer
Yeah. Cast Holy Aura into it and give it to the fighter who is about to go toe-to-toe with that pit fiend you're about to encounter.

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Or you try and be intelligent instead
Sorry, us clerics is Wisdom based. But really, I think the truly intelligent folks use Ioun Stones anyway ;) Thanks for the confirmation though.

I'm guessing that the DCs for the stored spells go straight to hell too eh?

Last edited:

gfunk

First Post
I agree. Spell storing is best used for buffing and utility spells. Damaging spells aren't the best, though high level ones work okay.

Corwin

Explorer
Ki Ryn said:
Sorry, us clerics is Wisdom based. But really, I think the truly intelligent folks use Ioun Stones anyway ;)

I hope you are not implying that the spell storing ioun stones work differently. All spell storing devices work the same way, AFAICT.

Ki Ryn said:
I'm guessing that the DCs for the stored spells go straight to hell too eh?

Yep. basically the item is casting the spell, like any other magic item (wands, etc.). So, the DC is set at the minimum to cast the spell as well.

But I agree with several others here. It's a great item when used properly. Here's a few dastardly tactics:

- Try casting Tenser's transformation into it and giving it to the fighter or barbarian. :)

- Give it to the monk with a shapechange spell in it so they can become a tumbling tarasque with ungawdly unarmed damage and is basically unstoppable.

- Let the barbarian use it to cast shield other on someone else and then rage. Talk about HP for days.

There are oodles of cool things you can do with a ring of spell storing.

Or if you are really intent on putting level dependant spells into it, take the heighten spell feat. Then you can just raise the level of whatever spell you want and get the full benefits. Of course, it will eat a higher level slot. But that's something you can usually take care of in "down time", right?

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Corwin said:
Yep. basically the item is casting the spell, like any other magic item (wands, etc.). So, the DC is set at the minimum to cast the spell as well.
Except that the caster sets the caster level of the spell in a wand. It is not considered minimum unless the caster sets it at minimum. For example, a 10th level wizard can make a wand of fireballs that shoots 5d6 fireballs or 10d6 fireballs or any number of dice in between. Of course, they count as that caster level for purposes of cost and XP, too.

The DC is always minimum, yes, but not the caster level when it comes to wands, scrolls, et.al.

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Dr. Zoom said:

Except that the caster sets the caster level of the spell in a wand. It is not considered minimum unless the caster sets it at minimum. For example, a 10th level wizard can make a wand of fireballs that shoots 5d6 fireballs or 10d6 fireballs or any number of dice in between. Of course, they count as that caster level for purposes of cost and XP, too.

The DC is always minimum, yes, but not the caster level when it comes to wands, scrolls, et.al.

Except for a ring of spell storing, which specifically set's the caster level to the minimum. (As the quote in the original post shows.)

Corwin

Explorer
Dr. Zoom said:

And what's your point? I never said the wand must cast a spell at the minimum caster level. I don't understand your need to correct a statement that isn't in error.

I said that a wand has a DC equal to the minimum needed to cast the spell (at the level it is set at, if you insist on adding that). But even without the qualifier, my statement is correct.

I don't care if a wand casts a 10d6 fireball, it still has a DC of 14 (because it is a 3rd level spell). Even if the wizard who made it has a 30 Int and Spell Focus (Evocation). My point stands. The spell comes out at the minimum DC for a spell of that level. It's all quite clearly stated in the DMG.

Please refrain from flexing your superiority complex. I am quite capable with the rules and don't need you "schooling" me. Thankyouverymuch.

Sorry for the mini-rant, it's just one of my pet-peeves to have someone correct me when I'm not wrong about something I know how to do very well.

Remove ads