• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell seeds to make new spells

Izod

First Post
I have read through the ELHB and I'm not really getting how you combine spell seeds to make new spells. It seems to me that the seeds listed don't really combine that easily.

Can someone give me an example of how to make a spell.

I had a few ideas that I would like to make but I don't really know how. For instance Iwould like to make a spell that will shield me from non-epic spells but will allow me to cast. How would you acomplish this.

Also I would like a spell that would shield my main tank from melee dammage... ie something like 50/- DR for a short duration.

wallshot

First Post
not quite DR 50/- but this would allow him to shrug the 1st 50 points of physical dmg...

Skin of the Juggernaut
Abjuration
Spellcraft DC: 90
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 10 minute
Range: Touch
Target: Touched Creature
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: Yes
To Develop: 810,000 gps; 17 days; 32,400 XP. Seed: ward (DC14). Factor: resist damage from all three physical types of damage (+4 DC), increase DR from 5 to 50 (+90 DC). Mitigating factors: increase casting time by 9 minutes (-18 DC)

Grants DR 50/- to all physical types of damage (piercing, slashing and bludgeoning). The spell will last for 24 hours, couldn't really find anything in the spell development rules about reducing duration.

Caliber

Explorer
Several spells have disadvantages or advantages where it simply says DM call. I would say the benefit of reducing the duration would be a DM call.

I think I would be ok with a duration of 1 hour (NOT 1 hour/level) reducing the Spellcraft by 10 or 15. Also realize that as your reduce the duration, the 10 minute casting time becomes more and more of a problem. As in, since it only last an hour, you don't want to cast it unless you are sure you will be in combat in an hour. Hopefully you have 10 minutes to spend casting.

wallshot

First Post
ok, using a -1 dc per -1 hour (or minute if the seed is in minutes) of duration, it now looks like this

Skin of the Juggernaut
Abjuration
Spellcraft DC: 85
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Target: Touched Creature
Duration: 1 hour
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: Yes
To Develop: 765,000 gps; 16 days; 30,600 XP. Seed: ward (DC14). Factor: resist damage from all three physical types of damage (+4 DC), increase DR from 5 to 50 (+90 DC). Mitigating factors: decrease duration by 23 hours (-23 DC)

Grants DR 50/- to all physical types of damage (piercing, slashing and bludgeoning).

Reset casting time back to 1 minute ( makes spell DC 108)
Reduced duration to 1 hour ( -1 DC per -1 hour)

Also, many DR spells, both damage and elemental, have a total point value that ends the spell when it is exceeded. Say for an epic level spell, give it 20 hit points per level before it burns out. Personally, I would say that flat DR is to much for this, I would preface it with an elemanta type, or progess it like Pro. from Arrows. 40/+5 at 21st level, 50/+6 at 25th level, 60/+7 at 30th, ect.

Mind you, I don't have the book YET.

doktorstick

First Post
Not when a EL 40 encounter nets you 250k in gold. (I briefly looked at the award tables when I was in my gaming shop, so I am probably off... but the numbers were up there.)

wallshot

First Post
doktorstick said:
Not when a EL 40 encounter nets you 250k in gold. (I briefly looked at the award tables when I was in my gaming shop, so I am probably off... but the numbers were up there.)

its a little more like 534k

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads