Sorcerers as Non-Spellcasters

Grymlorde

First Post
With all this talk about standard sorcerers being monstrous sorcerers, I started to think about the implications of:

Sorcerers manifesting spell-like abilities instead of casting spells.

The rationale is that sorcerers have draconic blood, never learn spells (the spells are awakened abilities each level), and charisma is their "spellcasting" ability score.

Manifesting spell-like abilities means that:

*Sorcerers cannot counterspell nor are their spells able to be counterspelled.

*Sorcerers "cast" spells without need for material, somatic, verbal, or focus components.

*Sorcerers cannot use magic items that require a spell completion or spell trigger to work (because they don't cast spells per se).

*Sorcerers could cast spells in armor without penalty.

*Sorcerers get bonus spells due to high charisma (like dragons).

Has anyone tried this already? If so how did it work out? Any other thoughts?

Last edited:

Lily Inverse

First Post
Hmmm.....interesting, but I would add one more point:

Sorcerer is NEVER treated as a favored class, and is always potentially subject to an XP penalty even when a character only has levels in a favored class.

I'm in a campaign right now where the DM uses this rule for most prestiege classes

itsmactimenow

First Post
Errr ... am I missing somethingn here

Correct me if I'm wrong but virtually everything on that list is already included as part of the Psion? Except that they get 1/2 as many powers per day so from a balance perspective, your "manifesting" Sorcerer would beat a mage hands down in a fight based on versatility; full plate decked Sorcerer manifesting while being grappled anyone?

Remove ads