• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some people say I'm crazy...

Ashardalon

First Post
...they're right! :D

Inspired by the ELH and the Fiend Folio:

Umbral Splinter Swarm
Medium-Size Construct (Swarm of Fine Creatures)
Hit Dice:
40d10+20 (240 hp)
Initiative: +28
Speed: Fly 90 ft. (perfect)
AC: 40 (+20 Dex, +10 natural), touch 30, flat-footed 20
BAB/Grapple: +30/-
Attack: Swarm
Full Attack: Swarm
Damage: Swarm 8d6 plus disintegration
Face/Reach: 5 ft./- ft.
Special Attacks: Disintegration, distraction (DC 34)
Special Qualities: Acid resistance 10, blindsight 150 ft., cold resistance 10, construct traits, darkvision 60 ft., disintegration immunity, electricity resistance 10, epic swarm, fire resistance 10, fast healing 5, sonic resistance 10, SR 42, swarm traits
Saves: Fort +19, Ref +39, Will +24
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 50, Con -, Int 16, Wis 20, Cha 20
Skills: Knowledge (history, the planes, religion) +46, Listen +50, Spot +50
Feats: Ability Focus (Disintegration, Distraction), Alertness, Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes
Epic Feats: Epic Ability Focus (Disintegrate, Distraction), Epic Fortitude, Epic Reflexes, Epic Skill Focus (Listen, Spot), Epic Will, Superior Initiative
Climate/Terrain: Any land and underground
Organization: Swarm
Challenge Rating: 27 (?)
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: \
Umbral splinters are a rare renmant of umbral blots destroyed by powerful forces. As myriad pieces of shattered nothingness, they wreak havoc on the plane where they were destroyed, as they can no longer leave it.
Umbral splinters look much like miniature spheres of annihilation, and act as such. Dangerous almost beyond imagination, these swarming splinters hope to find a way to rejoin into an actual blackball, even though they are aware that almost no force in the multiverse can savely interact with them.
Like umbral blots, umbral splinter swarms never speak.
Combat
An umbral splinter swarm uses much the same tactics as an umbral blot, attempting to use surprise to disintegrate its opposition as fast as possible. Faced with powerful foes, an umbral splinter swarm might also use stranger tactics, such as „eating“ through a building to cause enough structural damage to collapse it.
Disintegration (Ex): Any material object that comes into contact with an umbral splinter swarm is immediately disintegrated unless it succeeds at a Fortiutde save (DC 34). Those who makea successful saving throw still take 5d6 points of damage.
Distraction (Ex): Any nonmindless creature vulnerable to the umbral splinter swarm’s damage that begins its turn with it in contact is nauseated for 1 round; a Fortitude save (DC 34) negates the effect. Spellcasting, concentrating on spells, or using skills requiring patience and concentration requires a Concentration check.
Construct Traits: Immune to mind-affecting attacks and to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, necromantic effects, and any effect that requires a Fortitude save unless it also affects objects. Cannot heal damage (though its fast healing ability still works). Not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Not at risk of death from massive damage, but destroyed when reduced to 0 hit points or less; cannot be raised or resurrected.
Disintegration Immunity (Ex): An umbral splinter swarm is immune to all variants of the disintegrate spell. Note that it is immune to the standard disintegrate spell by virtue of being a swarm.
Epic Swarm (Ex): An umbral splinter swarm’s swarm attack deals more damage than a swarm could normally deal.
Swarm Traits: Not subject to critical hits or flanking. Immune to mind-affecting spells. Immune to damage from all weapons. Immune to single-target spells. Vulnerable to area effects. Does not threaten nearby squares.
Feats: The Epic Ability Focus feat increases the Save DC for the chosen special attack by +2.

Obviously, the Epic Ability Focus feat is a creation by me. Hope no one minds. :p

Ashardalon

First Post
The swarm subtype makes an interesting, and potentially deadly (for PCs, of course :D) addition to the game. I love it, and it does give a few strange ideas for templates (were-swarm, anyone?).

Got an idea for the CR?

Krishnath

First Post
No sorry...

I can't wait until I get my Fiend Folio (It should arrive some time next week), because when it does, I have a whole host of new monster ideas. (Levitating Ooze anyone?) ;)

Ashardalon

First Post
Hmmm... in a recent Hivemind thread, the Knight got an idea for a living cloud ooze, but he has'nt statted it yet. Hurry up! :p

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Mother of God in a sidecar with chocolate jimmies and a lobster bib! That's evil! I love it!

A bonus 25 obscurity points for whoever gets the reference.

Demiurge out.

Krishnath

First Post
Sorry, don't get the referrence, the Tick perhaps?

Also, for your sig, you are awar that Azathoth although all powerful has the collected intellect level of a brain damaged poodle, and that Nyarnalothep is incredibly intelligent by human standards (above genious level), and thus cannot be Azathoth, even though he does serve the crawling chaos? :D <Loves to dismantle lovecraftian theories>

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Actually, the quote was from Sam and Max.

And as for the Nyalarthotep thingy, I blatantly stole it from the "Which Elder God are You Quiz" I found somewhere, so don't blame me. And the whole "Azathoth is a Mask of Nyalarthotep" is a relatively common "heresy" found in non-Lovecraft Lovecraftian fiction. <Loves to have aguments about Lovecraftian theory>

Demiurge out.

Krishnath

First Post
Of course, but it is still wrong :D Nyarnalothep is his own entity, and quite a weird one at that. He is not a GOO, but he is at least as old a sentient life on earth. And he is not even from around here! :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads