• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some like it hot

Croaker

First Post
On a similar note, what if someone were tricked into consuming a potion with a damaging spell? Would they get a saving throw? It is assumed that they forego their save when they drink a healing potion, but what about Inflict Serious Wounds, Poison, Contagion, or Bestow Curse? Any of these spells are able to be put into a potion, and an unscrupulous merchant or clever pickpocket could easily switch a character's healing potions with harmful ones.

Darklone

Now that explains a lot, Hong. ;)

I'd allow a Refl save (half damage) not to swallow the stuff (if he didn't smell it) and a fort save against the poisoning effect after he did it.

About the damage and not being able to speak... no acid would work that fast. If you spit it out and do something against it, it shouldn't hurt more than the 2d6.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Here's my thinking:
-Acid does variable damage depending on how much of the dose touches your flesh. In this case, ALL of the acid touches your flesh.
-Acid does critical damage if it hits you somewhere vulnerable. In this case, it hits you in the tummy.

So I'd have it do max critical damage, or 12 points of damage.

In addition, I like the idea of making speech impossible until the 12 points of damage has been magically healed.

Considering that someone can get dunked in lava and survive in D&D, I don't think drinking a flask of acid should be a save-or-die situation.

Daniel

I may be totally wrong, but I seem to remember some rulebook or another mentioning, off hand, the possibility of someone *drowning* in acid.

It was such a vividly wrong image that I pointed it out to my DM and we both had a laugh over it.

Unfortunately I'm at work though, and can't peruse my rulebooks for the reference.

Anyone remember reading what I'm talking about?

-F

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
I think that's in the section where it talks about elemental resistance. You could be entirely immune to acid damage, but still get submerged and be unable to breathe.

Yup... that's it.

At anyrate, even if you weren't immune to acid damage, it doesn't mention anything about being instantly melted or otherwise insta-killed.

So, I think a 'fort save or die' approach might be a little too extreme.

-F

Femerus the Gnecro said:
I may be totally wrong, but I seem to remember some rulebook or another mentioning, off hand, the possibility of someone *drowning* in acid.

It was such a vividly wrong image that I pointed it out to my DM and we both had a laugh over it.

Unfortunately I'm at work though, and can't peruse my rulebooks for the reference.

Anyone remember reading what I'm talking about?

-F

Yes, I think it's in the PHB, next to the paladin in the flooding chamber, no book at the moment, unfortunatly.

I think they were more trying to describe that if you are submerged in anything, you have to worry about drowning. Even being engulfed in a creature doesn't do enough acid damage to kill you immediatly, add to that partial or full acid resistance, and you might have to worry about it.

As far as saves go, definatly no reflex save, especially if you drank it under the influance of a spell. I would say that you had no time to react and dodge. The reason I would use a save or die method is because, even by D&D standards, downing a glass of acid is going to hurt. At the time I wrote the post, I was thinking of the massive trauma rules. The idea of a maxed, double damage Coup De Grace is a good one.

Maybe instead make the acid keep eating you until it dissapates in your system or your healed, since you can't clain to wash it of or have it roll off your armor. D6 damage for D4 rounds, saves vs, nausea like the acid orb spell? A new use for Remove Poison/Purify Water.

Last edited:

Gromm

First Post
Crothian said:
Well, first acid is very apperent by the smell. Even if not that, then the tast (and burning sensation in one's mouth) would be a dead give away. So, I highly doubt that it would be swallowed. However, normal damage and the inability to speak.

However, if somebody did drink it I'd require a fort save or die. If they make the fort save they take double damage. That's my rules, not book rules.

How about this:
Suggestion spell.
"Thats a flask of mead you have there. You sure are thirsty."

Or something similar.

Save or die is kinda harsh (though it makes trying worth it). What DC?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads