• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So how much does WotC get out of you per year?

How much Wizards stuff do you buy?

Kaodi

Hero
If I had remembered that I often ask for WotC products for Christmas and my birthday, I would have probably said $100-200, but instead voted $200-500, which I could theoretically spend in a good year, if I were working and had money to burn. It would probably be most accurate to say that (because of Eberron), I could spend anywhere from $50-$250 a year.

Of course, it fluctuates. When 10th Edition MtG comes out this year, I'm thinking I am going to perhaps buy the five theme decks (though I'll start with just two) to see if it interests my Dad any to play (He has about zero interest in actual roleplaying games, but he doesn't really have anything against related products per se. I got him to play Three Dragon Ante when I first bought it, and he has said he'd give MtG a try.), but I have no interest in becoming a Magic collector, so completely pre-determined decks are the only thing I am interested in buying into. To take this hijack a little further, I once swore I'd never buy into a TCG, back in the TSR days when it was perceived that they were hurting D&D, but, Wizards has done OK by D&D. (Some) Opinions change.

R-man

First Post
I buy almost everything that WOTC puts out and have been doing so for a very long time. My collection of 1st and 2nd edition stuff is not quite complete and my 3/3.5 edition is only missing a couple of items (mostly a couple of Harbinger minis).

I am lucky enough to have a job and a wife that allows me to afford and want to afford all the gaming materials that I want. My wife is important as she is a avid player as well. Consiquently for certain important books and materials we will buy multiple copies of them.

Shortly I expect both my daughters will be joining us at the gaming table as well. They already are playing Settlers of Cataan but haven't quite shown the ability to handle D&D.

robberbaron

First Post
Pretty much nothing from me now that I have stopped buying Star Wars minis (briefly lusted after the ships but my restraint-fu was strong).
I have all the books I need and have pdfs of most of the others.

Arkhandus

First Post
At present --- zippo, nada, zilch.

For a few years after 3.5? About $30-$80 a year in card games and a few 3.0 and 3.25 D&D books that I hadn't picked up sooner but thought may be useful (just the Epic-Level Handbook, Savage Species, Fiend Folio, and Stronghold Builder's Guidebook, picked up gradually after 3.5 was released; consequently, only the latter two have been even remotely worth the wasting of my time any money).

Before 3.5? Probably around $60-$120 a year, since 3.0 was released. Before that, probably around $30-$80 a year in Magic: The Gathering cards. Excluding the one and only year I actually bought a few boxes of M:TG booster packs, for the Invasion/Planeshift/Apocalypse cycle (coolness!). :lol:

Well, I guess technically, I gave WotC around $50-$100 last year or whatever for some Ravnica, Cold Snap, and Time Spiral packs. And Three Dragon Ante of course. But mostly just cuz I was really bored last year and felt like playing in a few local MTG tourneys, seeing as how Ravnica brought multicolored/"gold" cards back to the fore (though I still hate the new color schemes that started with Mirrodin, and still loathe both Mirrodin and Kamigawa cycles as card sets; the novels, not so much, but the cards, blech). The other two sets I picked up a bit of just out of nostalgia for Revised Edition, Ice Age, Alliances, Tempest, and Stronghold (what with new and reprinted Slivers, Phyrexian monstrosities, Snow-Covered Lands and cards that actually rely on them, and such).

But before that little splurging on MTG out of intense boredom, I hadn't given WotC any of my money for a few years. I don't expect I'll be giving them any of my money this year, either. Don't intend to waste any more money on MTG again for a while, and still don't buy into the whole 3.5 "give us lots more money for the same things you bought a few years ago, only marginally revised and messed up!" scam. Not even worth the bother for the few bits of actually-nice stuff put into the books between all the regurgitated filler and the occasional newer, just-as-rushed-and-poorly-thought-out material.

Quick Edit: On the other hand, I still give Paizo my money on some months, cuz Dragon and Dungeon are still good magazines usually, despite their 3.5 content needing some tweaking for use in my 3.0 games. Though I hate the overly-high bookstand prices, since I don't get subscriptions to anything.

Last edited:

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
R-man said:
My collection of 1st and 2nd edition stuff is not quite complete and my 3/3.5 edition is only missing a couple of items (mostly a couple of Harbinger minis).
Hey R-man, which Harbinger minis are you missing?

Voadam

Legend
Usually about $20 a month irregularly (not every month) now for old edition pdfs sold through paizo. I occassionally get my brother some WotC minis as a birthday present and I recently bought the MMII and Sons of Gruumsh pdfs when they were on sale. The last books I bought in print were Unearthed Arcana, Complete Warrior, Dragonlance CS, and d20 Menace Manual all at 60% off from amazon, but that was a couple years ago. So under $100 a year but over $50.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads