• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, Godbound: where are the problem areas?

Thomas Shey

Legend
This isn't so much an unsell me thread as an attempt to have warning signs if I ever break down and try to run it. It strikes me as one of those systems were its hard to spot all the interactions from reading (and I've read in passing some issues that didn't stick with me at the time but seemed like they were emergent-properties kinds of things).

Obviously with as many bits as they have and the usual D20-verse exception based design there are going to be some Words that end up being more useful than others (and I absolutely don't mind being told about people's experiences here) but what else?

MPA2000

Explorer
This isn't so much an unsell me thread as an attempt to have warning signs if I ever break down and try to run it. It strikes me as one of those systems were its hard to spot all the interactions from reading (and I've read in passing some issues that didn't stick with me at the time but seemed like they were emergent-properties kinds of things).

Obviously with as many bits as they have and the usual D20-verse exception based design there are going to be some Words that end up being more useful than others (and I absolutely don't mind being told about people's experiences here) but what else?
Well if I understand you correction, you are looking for problematic areas possibly for future campaigns? Well lucky for you, that would be the entire Continent of Arcem.

In every major city/state, you have some faction or creatures trying to prey on the weak. This is completely outshined by the fact the entire continent is on the brink of being devoured by the Uncreated Night.

As for hot spots? You have Ancalia in the northwest, which is ransacked by Uncreated Night creatures, bent on sucking the souls of the humans left and turning them into undead. In the Northeast you have the Bleak Reach you have basically an underworld/skid row of the most filthy types of humans and supernatural creatures imaginable.

The north islands are inhabited by the evil Viking types, lead by Hags/Witches that would make Hela proud. Way down to the southeast you have to crazy and power mad Thousand gods, who were the prototypes for the now dead MadeGods.

Finally, in the West island you have the Bright Republic. It is symbolic of any cyberpunk genre, complete with a power source that is going out and needs to be replaced or the entire economy and infrastructure fails. And like any futuristic nation, the government is often a lackey for big business. One or more corporations not only owns many politicians, but also owns the police and or military. If not have their own respectively.

So what should the PC's do? Well the endgame is to make Arcem free of all of the inhospitable variants, perhaps even to the point that the PC become the realm's arch-gods. Unfortunately, I have never witnessed a Godbound DM/GM focus on ridding the continent of these things, and instead focused on their own individual campaigns that have no worldly benefits.

Remove ads