• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Skill Challenge in Heathen

Bolongo

Herr Doktor
This came up in another thread about Skill Challenges, but got lost in the hubbub, apparently. After looking at the adventure myself, I thought it was worthy of its own discussion:
FadedC said:
You can see some interesting examples of skill challenges in the new module Heathen posted on Dungeon. Three things are notables there

1) Although there are absolute success and failure conditions, every success can give tidbits of information even if you fail the challenge.

2) They don't use the DC's in the book, but that may be a bug rather then a feature. Some of the DC's may be a bit out of whack too.

3) Although no rule outright prohibits aid another, there are cases where it seems multiple players are doing things at the same time and thus aiding may be limited.

The challenges are interesting in general too and worth a read.

Point 1 seems similar to the idea of partial successes that's been bandied about, and I heartily endorse it.

I don't agree with point 2. The DCs are from the book, but they might appear out of whack because in one challenge the +5 from the footnote is included, in the other it is not. (I only found two challenges on a quick browsing of the scenario, if there are more, the ones I'm referring to are on pg 31-33 and 43-44, respectively.) Also, in the second challenge all DCs are set to Easy, except one which is Hard, and that looks a little strange.

The nomenclature is also somewhat puzzling. It's obvious enough that by the "Difficulty" of the challenge the author means the Complexity.
What's more confusing is that most skills listed have notes about "Low DC penalty" and "High DC bonus", which are modifiers to subsequent rolls. I don't understand the reference to DC here: are the players allowed to choose the difficulty they roll against, and get bonuses if they make a harder roll than normal? But the adventure has already set the DCs... It could just mean that the penalty/bonus is applied when you fail/succeed at the current roll, but why drag the term "DC" into it then?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads