• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Simple shifting question.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Simple question:

You can move diagonally in open terrain, but you can't move diagonally around a corner. You have to move past it and then to the side.

How does that work with monsters? Can you shift diagonally around a target, moving from the space to the target's left to the space directly below him without having to step in the square to his bottom left?

Or, another way of putting it...

Look at your numeric keypad to the right of your keyboard. Imagine those keys are squares. If the enemy is in "5", can you shift from "4" to "2" instead of going from "4" to "1" to "2"?

I think you can, but I'm not sure.

Mengu

First Post
The only restriction for diagonal movement is wall corners. Monsters are not walls. So yes you can move from 2 to 4, even if there were monsters both on 5 and 1.

Mengu said:
The only restriction for diagonal movement is wall corners. Monsters are not walls. So yes you can move from 2 to 4, even if there were monsters both on 5 and 1.
Yup. The thinking is that a wall or some other form of obstruction is occupying the entire square, however monsters dont.

Mengu

First Post
Bumamgar said:
No, you cannot move through an enemy's square.
Unless you meet certain criteria such as being two size categories smaller or larger. For instance a halfling can move through an Ogre's squares (provoking opportunity attacks as normal).

AidyBaby

First Post
Can a PC cut between two opponents when they are on a diagonal i.e. from 4 to 2 when there's opponents on 1 and 5. This means monsters can only 'hold the line' on exactly horizontal or vertical formations.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads