• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shield bash

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Ulorian said:
??? I wouldn't let anyone use a shield two-handed either.. what does that have to do with anything? What I'm saying is that if you wanted to use a shield in your main hand, there's no reason to apply an off-hand penalty to the attack.

I don't know that my comments really rate THREE question marks :)

Anyway, I'd be willing to house rule that a shield could be used as a martial weapon in the primary hand and apply 1xSTR bonus damage - makes sense to me, as long as I've also removed that Shield Charge feat (double damage when charging with a shield).

Also, when I mentioned a shiled with Spikes, I wasn't talking about a spiked shield. I was talking about a (wooden) shield with the Spikes spell cast on it. This is a DoF spell that can only be cast on wooden weapons, but gives them a +10 unnamed bonus to damage. When you combine that with Shield Charge and Rhino Hide and Power Attack etc. etc. then there's really no reason not to fight with a shield in either hand - and that's just too goofy.

Funny that you should mention lance, as that's the other favorite of the Spikes (spell) munchkin since it's made of wood and can double damage when used properly (and also has Spirited Charge to replace Shield Charge). I really think they should have made that spell specificaly affect club, great club, quarterstaff, and mace...

Ki Ryn said:
I don't know that my comments really rate THREE question marks :)
:D Just my standard "What the hell?" shorthand..

Ki Ryn said:
Anyway, I'd be willing to house rule that a shield could be used as a martial weapon in the primary hand and apply 1xSTR bonus damage - makes sense to me, as long as I've also removed that Shield Charge feat (double damage when charging with a shield).

Also, when I mentioned a shiled with Spikes, I wasn't talking about a spiked shield. I was talking about a (wooden) shield with the Spikes spell cast on it. This is a DoF spell that can only be cast on wooden weapons, but gives them a +10 unnamed bonus to damage. When you combine that with Shield Charge and Rhino Hide and Power Attack etc. etc. then there's really no reason not to fight with a shield in either hand - and that's just too goofy.

Funny that you should mention lance, as that's the other favorite of the Spikes (spell) munchkin since it's made of wood and can double damage when used properly (and also has Spirited Charge to replace Shield Charge). I really think they should have made that spell specificaly affect club, great club, quarterstaff, and mace...
Don't know much about non-core stuff; it seems to me that those books are generally not well-balanced (although I'm sure there are some diamonds in the rough).

You're right about those combos being over-powered. That Spikes spell alone seems a little ridiculous.. +10 damage?!?! Like, double the damage bonus granted by a +5 weapon? The effect is cartoonish, although maybe it's not unbalancing if the spell is of high enough level.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads