• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shared Spell

ShadowMaster

First Post
Hello Everybofy,

Does a druid who cast Reduce Animal on his Animal Companion can benefit from the spell with the Shared Spell feature?

Thanks.

shilsen

Adventurer
No. Two reasons: (1) The Share Spells ability allows a spell cast on the druid to also affect the animal companion (not vice versa), and (2) The target for Reduce Animal must be an animal. A humanoid druid cannot benefit from the spell.

Note that a wildshaped druid (which now has the animal type) can cast Reduce Animal on himself (if he has the Natural Spell feat) and have it affect his animal companion too.

ShadowMaster

First Post
Ok, I accept the fact that it is not revesible (i.e. casting a spell on the animal to gain the effect with share spell). But for your reason #2, I'd like us to consider this:

A druid and her animal companion can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the companion’s type (animal).

Therefore, if a wizards cast Enlarge person on me, then my animal companion still can benefit from it.

Thanks anyway for the clarification.

shilsen

Adventurer
ShadowMaster said:
Ok, I accept the fact that it is not revesible (i.e. casting a spell on the animal to gain the effect with share spell). But for your reason #2, I'd like us to consider this:

A druid and her animal companion can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the companion’s type (animal).

Therefore, if a wizards cast Enlarge person on me, then my animal companion still can benefit from it.

Thanks anyway for the clarification.

True, but I didn't mention it since it doesn't apply in this case. The druid and the animal companion can share a spell which doesn't normally affect animals. But they can't share spells which don't normally affect the druid. The spell, if it affects the druid, is passed on (so to say) to the animal companion. Reduce Animal doesn't fit that restriction.

Remove ads