• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Shadowdark casting in standard 5E

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Yeah, all of my players had to take a beat to digest that. The good (?) news is that characters die so often that getting a disappointing roll doesn't mean a years-long commitment to a less compelling character.
I'm planning on converting one of my games into Shadowdark in the near future. My general plan is that most of the growth will be organic (diegetic?), with learned boons and crafting magic items as the focus. The random level-up benefit will be more of a sidenote in progression, not the focus.

dave2008

Legend
It should also be noted that there are a lot of Shadowdark spells that if they work just don't offer a saving throw to the target.
That was my thought as well. If your role works, the spell just works.

Or, you beef up spells to accommodate failures and saves.

You can do this exactly like Shadowdark in 5E with no problem, probably capping out at no more than 15 spells known, potentially sticking to just 10. I think its a fun way to do casting and will be doing some more experiments with it, but this doesn't hurt or warp the game at all, though it does change the direction of the game by forcing players to more tightly curate options, and it really requires a DM who is willing to allow creative spell use, not "the spell does what it says it does" spell use.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
You can do this exactly like Shadowdark in 5E with no problem, probably capping out at no more than 15 spells known, potentially sticking to just 10. I think its a fun way to do casting and will be doing some more experiments with it, but this doesn't hurt or warp the game at all, though it does change the direction of the game by forcing players to more tightly curate options, and it really requires a DM who is willing to allow creative spell use, not "the spell does what it says it does" spell use.
Wizards vs Sorcerers? Any difference?

Wizards vs Sorcerers? Any difference?
I'd probably take this specific casting paradigm and force it on every class or give it to a specific class, depending on the end point of the project and other factors, such as how expansive the project grows.

I do like this being for a Wizard though, but with more then a handful of spells. Probably best fits something like a Bard though; it feels like an Expert's magic, having a handful of spells you can creatively use WITHOUT manipulating the spell itself.

dave2008

Legend
I can tell you from experience (5 years+) it works. However, the monsters need to be beefed up to keep up with PCs having additional resources and the ability to nova again.
Thing to keep in mind is if spellcasters can expend HD to regain spells, martials should be given the same opportunity to recharge abilities.
In our game,...

Casters can spend HD to:
  • regain spell slots - 1 HD per slot level
martials can send HD to:
  • 1 HD to regain a short rest ability
  • 1 HD to reroll a missed saving throw
  • 2 HD to regain a long rest ability
  • HD to increase melee damage by 1d6
Anyone can spend HD to:
  • heal (as normal)
  • increase speed by value of your HD (1d10 feet for example or take 6)
  • spend HD to recover from exhaustion (1 per level)

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
I'd probably take this specific casting paradigm and force it on every class or give it to a specific class, depending on the end point of the project and other factors, such as how expansive the project grows.

I do like this being for a Wizard though, but with more then a handful of spells. Probably best fits something like a Bard though; it feels like an Expert's magic, having a handful of spells you can creatively use WITHOUT manipulating the spell itself.
I'd give it to every class, but I mean that what used to separate wizards and sorcerers in my mind was sorcs could cast more but wizards knew more. So, not sure how that'd all work into "you know six spells, you can cast til you fail" etc like SD does it.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
In our game,...

Casters can spend HD to:
  • regain spell slots - 1 HD per slot level
martials can send HD to:
  • 1 HD to regain a short rest ability
  • 1 HD to reroll a missed saving throw
  • 2 HD to regain a long rest ability
  • HD to increase melee damage by 1d6
Anyone can spend HD to:
  • heal (as normal)
  • increase speed by value of your HD (1d10 feet for example or take 6)
  • spend HD to recover from exhaustion (1 per level)
Is there a lot of magical healing going around in your games that HD don't need to be conserved? Or are long rests frequently between big encounters?

dave2008

Legend
Is there a lot of magical healing going around in your games that HD don't need to be conserved? Or are long rests frequently between big encounters?
We have very limited magic healing in our group as it is:
3 fighters
1 ranger (rogue/scout)
1 wizard

we average about 3 encounters between long rest, no guarantees when a "big" encounter will happen

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads