• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadow Conjurations & Shadow Evocations...

Jack Haggerty

First Post
To follow up...

Now suppose my Wizard has the Spell Focus (Illusion) feat. He casts a Shadow Evocation (Fireball). Does the extra +2 apply only to the initial Will Save? Or both the Will Save and the resultant Reflex Save?

Jalkain

First Post
Jack Haggerty said:
To follow up...

Now suppose my Wizard has the Spell Focus (Illusion) feat. He casts a Shadow Evocation (Fireball). Does the extra +2 apply only to the initial Will Save? Or both the Will Save and the resultant Reflex Save?

Given that spell DC seems to be a combination of how powerful the spell is (spell level) and how well you cast it (Intelligence bonus), I would say it applies to both saves. You are still casting an illusion spell, regardless of what the target thinks.

The +2 bonus to the will save reflects your skill at crafting believable illusions. The +2 bonus to the reflex save is slightly more difficult to explain, but if Spell Focus (Evocation) reflects your ability to place your fireball spell in such a way as to make it more difficult to avoid... well that must be what's happening here too. You are better at placing your illusions so that targets are caught squarely in the area of effect.

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
How do the saves work on these things, anyway?

Does the target get a Will save on the Evocation because he's been hit with the Fireball (ie. he's 'interacting' with it), or does he only get a Will save if he states his intention to disbelieve it?

The Conjuration is simpler, because you the point of interaction is a lot clearer, i.e. you're fighting with it and you see through it, at which point it gets a lot less dangerous.

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Eccles said:
How do the saves work on these things, anyway?

Does the target get a Will save on the Evocation because he's been hit with the Fireball (ie. he's 'interacting' with it), or does he only get a Will save if he states his intention to disbelieve it?

The Conjuration is simpler, because you the point of interaction is a lot clearer, i.e. you're fighting with it and you see through it, at which point it gets a lot less dangerous.

You got it spot on. The Will save for both is "Will disbelief (if interacted with)". With a conjured creature, that means you attck it, or it attacks you. For attack spells... such as Melf's Acid Arrow and Flame Arrow for Conj, or Lightning Bolt or Fireball for Evok ...Interaction is the possibility of taking damage from the spell.

Remove ads