• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Setting up the pet

I'm playing a hunter in a game where there are only 3 people, as a result the DM has allowed me to have a pet by the druid rules as opposed to the hunter. The game level is 9. Since the pet is effectively a replacement for a party member, the DM has also allowed me other recources for the pet. What feats, alternate abilities, equipment, magic items, etc on my hunter or the pet to maximize its potential? I'm thinking a panther or some other large cat type.

Cameron

First Post
CrimsonWineGlass said:
I'm playing a hunter in a game where there are only 3 people, as a result the DM has allowed me to have a pet by the druid rules as opposed to the hunter. The game level is 9. Since the pet is effectively a replacement for a party member, the DM has also allowed me other recources for the pet. What feats, alternate abilities, equipment, magic items, etc on my hunter or the pet to maximize its potential? I'm thinking a panther or some other large cat type.
Halfling Ranger 2/Paladin 3/Beastmaster 1/Halfling Outrider 3 with Devoted Tracker feat.

Talk with the DM to allow Pal and HO to stack to determine if you get the special mount feature or not. Most other prcs say no, but HO is a special case, if you read it properly. It is about the only prc that doesn't have what it advances as a pre-requisite and doesn't specify that you don't get it if you don't already have it.

backbeat

First Post
I was building a disarm and fetch team once.

PC was a ranger archer with disarming Shot. Companion was a wolf trained to fetch. My plan was to use the Wild Cohort feat to get a Druid like companion, and exchange the ranger companion for an alternate class feature (Distracting Shot - PHB 2, IIR)

General tactics was PC shots sword from foes hand, wolfie runs and gets it. I was going to make the PC a Killoreen so it could use smite attacks to get big bonuses on attack rolls.

I'm not so much interested in classes/prestige classes as items and feats actually. Level 29, the DM can be reasoned with so i'm not going to list stats and miss out on an idea that could be modified. Anyways, any help with those?

Cameron

First Post
CrimsonWineGlass said:
I'm not so much interested in classes/prestige classes as items and feats actually. Level 29, the DM can be reasoned with so i'm not going to list stats and miss out on an idea that could be modified. Anyways, any help with those?
Unless you tell us which pet you want, we can't help you there. I was playing with a concept like this and ended up with a 27HD large dragon as a pet. Its feats and items will be very different from a puppy-dog's. I have since refined that (using UA bloodlines rules) to over 35HD by level 20...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads