• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Set for charge

fuindordm

Adventurer
So in some previous editions spears and certain pole arms could be "set for a charge" -- ready your action to attack in an opponent charges you -- and would do double damage on a hit, but if no one charged you then of course your action was wasted that round. In the inverse situation, the lance did double damage when you were charging.

Do you all think this is a reasonable rule to import into 5th edition? Or is some other advantage more appropriate? Do you think this would make certain weapons overpowered?

For reference, the Charger feat gives +5 damage (or +10' on shove) if you hit with your bonus action after taking a dash action. Some monsters also have a charge attack that triggers with at least 20' of movement prior to the attack, with does some bonus damage and/or has a chance to knock a PC prone.

Some options:
Advantage on attack vs a charging creature
Bonus flat damage if attack hits (doesn't multiply on crit)
Bonus dice of damage if attack hits (multiplies on crit)
Two-handed use of spear or polearm required to benefit?

wedgeski

Adventurer
It loses value significantly when players don't have to declare their actions before rolling initiative. Why would you charge at a defender set to receive you? You wouldn't, you'll charge at someone else. As a defensive measure, it works, in that you weren't charged, but it cost your whole action and probably didn't cost your opponent anything.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
So in some previous editions spears and certain pole arms could be "set for a charge" -- ready your action to attack in an opponent charges you -- and would do double damage on a hit, but if no one charged you then of course your action was wasted that round. In the inverse situation, the lance did double damage when you were charging.

Do you all think this is a reasonable rule to import into 5th edition? Or is some other advantage more appropriate? Do you think this would make certain weapons overpowered?

For reference, the Charger feat gives +5 damage (or +10' on shove) if you hit with your bonus action after taking a dash action. Some monsters also have a charge attack that triggers with at least 20' of movement prior to the attack, with does some bonus damage and/or has a chance to knock a PC prone.

Some options:
Advantage on attack vs a charging creature
Bonus flat damage if attack hits (doesn't multiply on crit)
Bonus dice of damage if attack hits (multiplies on crit)
Two-handed use of spear or polearm required to benefit?

I don't see an issue with it. If a player wanted to do that during play, I would likely give him or her advantage on the attack roll made with the reaction or an extra damage die, depending on what the player described as his or her goal.

fuindordm

Adventurer
It loses value significantly when players don't have to declare their actions before rolling initiative. Why would you charge at a defender set to receive you? You wouldn't, you'll charge at someone else. As a defensive measure, it works, in that you weren't charged, but it cost your whole action and probably didn't cost your opponent anything.

It's a good point. Even in 1E, I think it was mostly useful against animals, who wouldn't change their target just because they were holding a pointy stick.

Readying an action to set your spear to recieve a charge was effective IIRC.
As charging is rarer in 5e (being a feat or specialized monster ability) I see setting for a charge less useful.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
The effect of "setting to receive a charge" can probably be done at the last moment so as not to tip one's hand to the enemy. Or it could be a deterrent. If the DM has telegraphed that the monsters in the scene may "charge" (even if "charge" means nothing more than moving up and attacking, mechanically), then readying an action to gain a benefit is probably a decent enough trade in some circumstances. I certainly don't see it being used often, especially when giving up an action to ready gets costly.

I think that's what the attack of opportunity in the Polearm Mastery feat is effectively representing - being extra good at setting to receive a charge. Anyone can simply ready their action for "attack with my spear when an enemy enters my reach" if they want the low skill version.

Gillywonka

First Post
I like and would say do it. I would also add, any attacker charging into a set spear/poleaxe and gets hit, they'd need to make a DC check of some sort or else get knocked down... (maybe make the DC harder the more damage done).

Tony Vargas

Legend
Charge is barely a thing in 5e, so setting to receive one wouldn't often be meaningful. Readying to attack the first enemy to move into your reach is as close as you'll come in the standard rules.

If you want to give a bonus to specific weapons, like spears, used that way, you could. Have them do an extra die of damage when Readied if the attacker has moved at least, say 20' before triggering the attack, for instance.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

*shrug* Just use common sense is my answer. If you see your opponent set his spear, no duh you're not going to charge at him...not any more than if he suddenly levitates off the cliff face 5' back into mid air. I see no reason to try and come up with any sort of "incentive to set", or the reverse.

If a villain has a pointy stick set to receive you, with the evil cleric finalizing the ritual behind him (by plunging a dagger into the chest of some scantily clad female, of course)...well, it's worth the risk. Charge!

Mechanics wise:

First, ignore any references to Feats. They are optional and should, IMHO, *never* factor into making a house rule; if a house rule ends up overly enhancing or weakening a Feat, fix the Feat. Anyway...

Second, "The person setting the weapon against a charge gets a +2 bonus To Hit his charging foe if his foe does not have a shield that is bigger than a buckler. If he hits his foe, his foe takes double damage and is stopped in his movement unless it's bulk is significantly more than the person setting for the charge. If he misses his foe, his foe gets +2 to hit him, and does double damage on a hit. Optionally, the charging foe can decide to not attack and just continue past the person who set the spear".

Sounds reasonable and logical from a fantasy RPG perspective.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads