• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Semi-Rant: WotC's new Miniatures War Machine web page

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
WotC just posted a new War Machine web page to give people pre-made warbands they can use to play right away. It's a great way for a new player to get a feel for the game. They start with a list of 24 warbands here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mi/20041209a

I really like this. I'm happy they are doing it and it will help new players.

Personally, I have been purchasing the minis from the beginning to use in regular D&D sessions. Just recently, I'm finding the opportunity to try the actual minis game with others, so I came to this site. I don't know the ins and outs of good warband generation so I was just looking to nab a few suggestions so we could try a few games.

I have purchased over $400 worth of minis since they were first introduced. I have at least one case from each set. So here comes the rant.

I can only build ONE of the warbands listed out of the 24 in the War Machine collection. That would be Snig's Pets. I can't even build the Common Valor warband, which consists of all common figures. Granted, one of them has 7 of the same figure, but come on. If I have almost 500 miniatures and I'm having trouble, what does that say about other people trying to build these warbands?

I understand that I could go trade minis somewhere with people I don't know. I could buy singles on Ebay and pay $10+ for some "rare" piece of plastic. I could also substitute what I don't have with other minis. That's not really the point, though. They post a nice group of sample warbands and I cannot use them, even with my substantial collection. Perhaps I'm just ranting about the randomized packs in general. I'm not sure.

Don't you see a problem with this?

Last edited:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Not really.

The big thing about any collectible game is this: you need a pool of players who collect it. When that happens, you can easily trade for the figures you need.

If you are the only one buying it, then you will have a problem.

I have about 1500 minis, though I have very few Aberrations at all.

The ones I can build:
* Regdar's Roughnecks
* Yondalla's Home Guard
* Shooting Range
* Brain Dead
* Displaced Aggression
* Snig's Pets
* Thayan Might
* The Final Cut
* Urthok's Pets
* Urthok's Strike Squad
* Cult of the Dragon
* Meet My Boyfriend, "Killer"
* Orc Horde
* Red Ravager
* Wounded Pride

Most of the other bands have about one or two figures I don't have (and being commons or uncommons, easily attainable).

Now, given my collection, if there were 2 or 3 other people you knew who between you had similar numbers of minis - that'd give you over 1500 miniatures, and you should do as well as I can for building the warbands.

Cheers!

Remove ads