• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Scott Rouse and D&D Team on 5th Edition ("satire")

Status
Not open for further replies.

ogre

First Post
Well, I thought it was funny. Granted I probably haven't read any of Razz's other posts in order to understand his 'real' feelings and I live on the outskirts of being 'serious' about what a game company does, but... c'mon it's not like he was calling them knappyheaded or anything. ;-)

Cevalic

First Post
ogre said:
Well, I thought it was funny. Granted I probably haven't read any of Razz's other posts in order to understand his 'real' feelings and I live on the outskirts of being 'serious' about what a game company does, but... c'mon it's not like he was calling them knappyheaded or anything. ;-)

Humor from humor. :D

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Dyne said:
Anyone that took offense at this thread is pathetic and seriously needs to take another look at their life and their priorities.

Dyne,
After a mod has given a warning about casting aspersions, this phrasing was a bad idea . Insulting and name calling is not acceptable around here. Please go reread The Rules we have for posting on these boards.

Folks, I understand that sentiments can run a little hot right about now - but expressing frustration in an insulting manner does not help at all. It makes things worse, and makes you part of the problem. So keep cool, okay?

Dire Bare said:
Actually, the above is not humor and not really very funny at all. IMHO.
QFT. Not funny at all, unless you have unreasonable hate for a new game that you haven't even laid eyes on, and for which the design hasn't even been finalized.

Sarcasm is a difficult form of humour to master. Failures in the attempt, such as the OP, prove that.

Aus_Snow said:
Now that is kinda funny :D, considering how little of the thing you refer to there has actually been
Have you seen the Wizards 4E boards? The "doomsday" thread is the most popular one there. It's multiples the size of the "hallelujah" thread.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Fifth Element said:
Have you seen the Wizards 4E boards? The "doomsday" thread is the most popular one there. It's multiples the size of the "hallelujah" thread.
Actually no, I haven't. Not one bit, so far. And that is a state of affairs that is likely to continue, for the foreseeable future.

But thanks anyway, I wasn't aware there was quite that much "dooming" going on. Well, good. It's not something I'll engage in, most likely, but that doesn't make it automatically invalid. All it is, is the other far side of the spectrum.

And who knows, I might. :p

howandwhy99 said:
I don't see how this is a humor thread. Falsely attributing statements to people who did not speak them is libel.
Well, IANAL, but I think legal precedent is pretty clear that there is the whole "satire & parody" exemption, where if the words attributed to them are so outrageous that the typical reader can tell that there is no way that the subject actually said those words.

A good explanation/example from a movie would be the film "The People vs. Larry Flynt", dramatizing the Hustler Magazine, Inc. v. Falwell, 485 U.S. 46 (1988) case where an advertisement run in the magazine attributed an unbelievable statement to Jerry Falwell, and the Supreme Court upheld that such satire is protected free speech as there is no actual malice and it's a public figure being targeted (and the targets there are public figures, at least within the gaming world). They explain it pretty well in that movie, and probably more entertainingly than I could, but that post does not appear to be libel.

The Green Adam

First Post
What ran through my mind was that Playstation 2 or 3 ad from a while back where they describe all the virtual reality hologram and neural-plug interface features for the Playstation 12 or something and then say, "But until then..." fade to logo of the PS2.

Another thing that occured to me - How much more can they 'streamline' combat.

GM: Ok the Orc attacks you with a sword as his goblins conhorts try to surround you. A1.

Player: I counter with my own sword and then kick'em in the gurnies. G20.

GM: G20, huh? Good move. The battle is over and you defeated the Orc, his 7 goblin minions and saved the crown of Lathronis.

Player: Pretty cool. I like D&D 8.0's system but I'm hoping they can speed it up for 8.5.

:confused:

AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads