• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scales of War 9 now out! (was: SoW delayed again)

scrubkai

Explorer
Anyone else notice that the next Scales of War Adventure has gotten pushed back again this month?

Anyone want to guess why it's moved back.

My first thought is that Wizards has been unhappy with the adventure that was turned in, and has had to do extensive re-writing. But then I'm a pretty glass is half empty type of guy.

(And it may have to do with my disappointment in how dungeon crawly many of the adventures in the path have been so far. I like at least a little role playing in my adventures, and the Fist of Mourning particually left a bad taste in my mouth.)

Kai

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Nope, this one is entirely my fault. I wrote it, and I turned it over later than I should have. I take full blame for the delay.

On the plus side, there's heavy role playing in it!

Shemeska

Adventurer
Nope, this one is entirely my fault. I wrote it, and I turned it over later than I should have. I take full blame for the delay.

On the plus side, there's heavy role playing in it!

Very cool that you're getting to write this for Dungeon!
shemmysmile.gif

That said, you might be able to answer a question for some folks given that you're writing part of the Scales of War AP. There's a thread over on the WotC forums where people have been trying to find out who the managing editor for the AP is (or if there is one). Do you have any insight into that?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
That said, you might be able to answer a question for some folks given that you're writing part of the Scales of War AP. There's a thread over on the WotC forums where people have been trying to find out who the managing editor for the AP is (or if there is one). Do you have any insight into that?
I've been dealing directly with Dungeon's editor-in-chief, Chris Youngs. I've been very impressed. There might be someone else, but I haven't spoken to them.

My adventure is really a 2-part beast, with some nice cinematic combat in one segment and more intrigue and roleplaying in the other. I think I'm still finding my feet a little, but I suspect some groups will have a lot of fun with it.

esparkhu

First Post
Scales of War

PirateCat,

I don't know if you can, or are allowed to, say, but I have a question about a couple of the NPCs mentioned in Scales of War.

I have been DMing the Scales of War adventure path with some side quests involving my PC's personal backstories. "Cachlain, an infamous fomorian king of the Feywild", and his advisor "Sovacles", are mentioned in The Temple Between, #6. Are these two going to show up again any time soon? I've seen no sign of them up through #9 the most recent release. I'm thinking of creating a side quest with them in it. But if these two are not recurring characters, I'd prefer to cut them out of the story all together. I hate loose ends.

I really wish they'd give some kind of overarching review of the whole adventure path, but it seems like each adventure is written independently with a "fly by the seat of your pants" feel. I've had to cobble together my own NPC/plot flow chart.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
They aren't in SoW #9. I think you're okay running a side quest with them. The cool thing about adventure paths is that you can do so and jump back in, without necessarily following the path slavishly. It'll just take some exposition, or meeting the heroes who did the adventures that your PCs didn't. :p

You should see an improvement in how NPCs flow from one adventure to the next. Starting in SoW #9, folks start reappearing. I can't speak for future adventures, of course, but I anticipate more introduced NPCs to be playing a role.

Remove ads