• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Savage Progression Transitional Class Tiefling to Half-Fiend

Herzog

Adventurer
I was investigating the possibility of having a Tiefling get more fiend-like, and found this : http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040319a
In particular, The Tiefling/Half-Fiend Transition Class

At first, I was happy. Obviously, someone (WotC) had already done the work for me, and all I had to do is use the reference!

Until I took a closer look.

Either the writer was referencing a completely different Tiefling than I am, or was just not paying attention.
While the articles specifies that the transition class gives out those abilities of the Half-Fiend that are up and above those of the Tiefling, at the first level they grant 'energy resistance 5' to acid, cold, electricity and fire. Of which only the acid resistance is actually an addition.
Furthermore, the progression gives out a single +2 Cha, while the full Half-Fiend gives out +2 and a Tiefling starts out at -2.

Although I probably will still use the resource, the glaring errors above make me wonder what other errors lie hidden within these descriptions, and whether I won't be better of writing my own progression after all.

Any thoughts/opinions on the content of these articles?

Remove ads