• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sanity Ability Score - Experiences?

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
I've been using the optional Sanity ability score and the accompanying madness rules in my horror-themed 5E campaign, and so far we're having fun with them. I've tweaked them a bit with some house rules (mostly by designating which types of monsters cause a player to make Sanity saving throw).

I'd love to hear others' experiences with this optional rule system.

BD

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
In the game I play in, the DM chose to implement Sanity, and added a couple of Sanity-based skills. So far it hasn't come up very often (mostly at the start of the campaign). Its ok, but I feel like he thought it would come up more, and it just sits there most of the time.

When it does come up, though, it is pretty fun, especially when there is a character with a low Sanity score.

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
In the game I play in, the DM chose to implement Sanity, and added a couple of Sanity-based skills. So far it hasn't come up very often (mostly at the start of the campaign). Its ok, but I feel like he thought it would come up more, and it just sits there most of the time.

When it does come up, though, it is pretty fun, especially when there is a character with a low Sanity score.

I've kind of built the campaign around it, so it does come up a fair amount. In fact, that's what I'm trying to dial in. I feel like it may have come up a bit too much in the first session. The players seem to dig it, though, and as they develop indefinite madness, I'm going to tell each player in secret so they can roleplay it out. Should be fun. :devil:

BD

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads