• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sandman Trailer (and Neil Gaiman commentary)

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Last night I watched the character teasers they released for Death and Lucifer. Looking pretty good, and very true to the original comic scripts. As should be expected, given how closely Gaiman is involved with production.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Looks decent, and I like that they’re using The Corinthian. I always ought he was one of the better visually conceived villi in horror comics.
The trailer definitely has scenes that makes it look like they're adapting Preludes and Nocturnes and the Doll's House, and the Corinthian arc in the Doll's House is excellent.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
The trailer definitely has scenes that makes it look like they're adapting Preludes and Nocturnes and the Doll's House, and the Corinthian arc in the Doll's House is excellent.
Definitely Preludes & Nocturnes, and I suspect you're right that they're at least partially doing The Doll's House. I understand that Stephen Fry is playing Gilbert/Fiddler's Green.

Last edited:

I guess I see why Gaiman and Prattchet collaborated a few times... They both seem to prefer describing death as a kind figure that cares for humans. They probably shared more things in common... Maybe I should read more of Gaiman's stuff? (But that would first require to start reading again...)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I guess I see why Gaiman and Prattchet collaborated a few times... They both seem to prefer describing death as a kind figure that cares for humans. They probably shared more things in common... Maybe I should read more of Gaiman's stuff? (But that would first require to start reading again...)
Yeah, he’s a great writer, more serious in tone than Pratchett but similar philosophies

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Well, the Sandman comics are comics, so generally quicker and less commitment/effort to read than novels.

His novels are pretty darn good too. Neverwhere might make a good entry point, for those.

Edit: Crossing the boundary, Stardust was released in graphic novel, text novel, and movie form. The movie is pretty good, but I think the text novel is a horrible idea. Charles Vess' incredible, lush illustrations are wonders, and for me half the joy. Stardust was originally released in four perfect bound issues; I think the version currently in print is in two halves. Totally worth it if you like fairy tales for grown ups.

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
Damn. The Death clip with the violinist — taken directly from “The Sound of Her Wings”, right? — put tears in my eyes this morning. Quite a few really.

Strange world we live in. Many things are bad, but I can turn on the TV (it’s a large immobile phone for the kids in the audience) and see Danny the Street, and now Dream of the Endless addressing the Devil as ’Lucifer Morningstar’ (I’ve always loved that).

Remove ads