• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running and being carried

Dimwhit

Explorer
Here's the scenario: Half-orc picks up a light female character. Next round, the Half-Orc, carrying the woman, runs at 4x movement. Could the female cast a spell at the end of that run? If not, why? (Our group, out of boredom, is having a nice argument about this.)

The argument for allowing it is that the female isn't doing anything while carried so she should still get a standard action after the move (or during).

The argument against is that she has, effective, taken more than a double move and shouldn't be allowed any further actions for the round.

Enkhidu

Explorer
Dimwhit said:
Here's the scenario: Half-orc picks up a light female character. Next round, the Half-Orc, carrying the woman, runs at 4x movement. Could the female cast a spell at the end of that run? If not, why? (Our group, out of boredom, is having a nice argument about this.)

The argument for allowing it is that the female isn't doing anything while carried so she should still get a standard action after the move (or during).

The argument against is that she has, effective, taken more than a double move and shouldn't be allowed any further actions for the round.

Simple answer: use the Ride skill to adjudicate this.

Dross

Explorer
Enkhidu said:
Simple answer: use the Ride skill to adjudicate this.

Agree, but there are a couple of other considerations depending on how involved you go.
Ride skill is for mounts and being carried by another humanoid isn't exactly like a mount and saddle so at least some negative modifier is needed. Likely the carried would also need to make a caster check against the vigourous motion of being carried. Also how is the female being carried? this might limit her field of vision, make it hard for her to accure and manipulate material components etc.

And remember that with mounts, the mount can make a double move and the rider can still do something.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
robberbaron said:
Concentration check?

Sure sounds like "DC20 Extraordinarily violent motion (earthquake)." from the concentration skill description to me.

Although that doesn't sound like a harsh enough penalty to me, to be honest!

Ranger REG

Explorer
Plane Sailing said:
Sure sounds like "DC20 Extraordinarily violent motion (earthquake)." from the concentration skill description to me.

Although that doesn't sound like a harsh enough penalty to me, to be honest!
I'd say DC 15-18, depending on how she is carried.

Last edited:

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
I would make it be a DC 20 balance check for her to cast a spell with somatic components, requiring her to free her hands (ergo, cease to use them to hold onto the half-orc), meaning she needs to use her balance not to fall off. If she does fall, she could then make a concentration check not to lose the spell.

Of course, if she uses the Still Spell feat, I'd say that she can cast unimpeded.

Dimwhit

Explorer
But what if the one doing the carrying does a 4x movement run (assuming carrying her doesn't put him encumbered). Could she still do anything that turn?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads