• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPM wins the contest for NPCGenerator!

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Does anyone have a program that will automatically generate an NPC with full equipment?

after using RPM's feature set this rocks! see my last post!

Last edited:

MythosaAkira

Explorer
Re: Wanted: NPCGenerator+Equipment Generator

Leopold said:
Does anyone have a program that will automatically generate an NPC with full equipment?

My NPC Generator for TableSmith will do that, thought the equipment isn't random; rather, it's based off the canned NPCs in the DMG.

Not sure that'll help, but if it would:

http://www.mythosa.net/TabGallery.html

Something that does both is on my lengthy "to-do" list :) There are tools that randomly generate one, or the other, but not both, from what I've seen so far.

Luke

Explorer
RPM approach

One of the next big items for RPM is to provide configurable generation tables based on Bruce's TableSmith approach which would give equipment based on race and class levels (along with names, skills, feats etc).

The idea is to integrate the generation tables with the RPM database. This would mean that equipment, skills, feats etc generated would refer to genuine RPG objects (not just text descriptions), and the modifier effects would flow through to the statblock and in-game mechanics automation.

I'd call that vaporware for at least a month, though.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
i guess until something new comes along it's NPCGen via jamis buck and PCGen to do the main PC's..it's not that difficult really. I am just lazy..

Luke

Explorer
Leopold said:
i guess until something new comes along it's NPCGen via jamis buck and PCGen to do the main PC's..it's not that difficult really. I am just lazy..

What you can do with RPM *right now* is to use the integrated Jamis NPC generator to generate your creatures complete with skill points, feats and spells. RPM will automatically add any basic class or racial items (esp. natural attacks for fully calculated attacks & damage). You can then add any further items you like by whilst browsing through the multi-category item selector. This last bit, in particular, is the bit to be taken care of with a future generator.

Regards,

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
malakai6276 said:
INSERT PLUG HERE...

Hey! Don't forget my handy NPC Equipment Generator (NPCEQ)! You can always pick up the latest version at

http://prfdb.umd.edu/games/npceq

... END PLUG

OK... just hgouth i'd throw in my two cents... :)

--jonathan.

got it used it. too much data entry from doing jamis' and then your so come up with a NPC and then equip them.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
RPM= the winner! I love how i can take the output from jamis bucks' file and have it automatically inputted into a nice statblock and add items and so forth!!

adding items never made it so easy!!

Luke

Explorer
Leopold said:
RPM= the winner! I love how i can take the output from jamis bucks' file and have it automatically inputted into a nice statblock and add items and so forth!!

adding items never made it so easy!!

:)

Can't tell you how much that means to me, especially coming from you!

Just to let you know, I've starting work on "Generator Tables". You can create any number of generator tables based on:
- Race (useful for wondering monsters).
- Class (useful for selecting NPC classes).
- Skills, Feats, Spells (NPCs again).
- Equipment (for equipping NPCs)

The idea is that you can create many tables of any type, so you could have separate Items generators for different classes, or wandering monster tables for different locations or climates etc.

It's a simple concept, where you can drag any number of items available across to the table, then assign the chance for it occurring, and the number (ie "1d4" bugbears for a wandering monster table).

I'll distribute the standard tables, but the point of going to all the configurabilty is to allow you to have access to all the items from whatever campaign sources you're using, and to personalize things so they make more sense (ie fighters are unlikely to get scrolls).
I love Bruce's TableSmith stuff (which is already partially integrated to RPM), but I'm very keen on this new concept, since you get full access to the "real" items, and not just text. This means that any modifiers and effects from items can be applied to the character, rather than you just getting a text output.
Maybe I'll find a good way to integrate the 2 concepts.

Regards,

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
hey i have no qualms supporting a good piece of software even though it competes against ours :) . Barring the chance that PCGen will ever have a random generator ability (next year sometime if ever!) anything that can do the job of this and do it well i am all for..now if only you could integrate the export of that file into a pcgen file..now THAT would be magic!

if there comes a point in which you have the ability to generate equipment based on the output of Jamis bucks' file (ie it get 9k worth of random equipment at X level) that would be the icing on the cak e for me..

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads