• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPG Writing and Design Needs a Paradigm Shift

kenada

Legend
Supporter
the description for the spell itself is not so bad

"A fireball is an explosive burst of flame, which detonates with a low roar, and delivers damage proportionate to the level of the magic-user who cast it, i.e. 1 six-sided die (d6) for each level of experience of the spell caster."

It just has much too much going on (if cast from a staff then this, if from a scroll then that, and here's another 10 lines of details for some rare cases that might come up)
See post #179. My issue with the AD&D fireball is more of an immersion/simulation one.

I like the 5e description best, I want it short but evocative. Doesn't mean it would not be improved by separating the mechanics from the flavor text and have them in a separate line.
Other than the nod to AD&D (“(it) blossoms with a low roar into an explosion of flame”), they seem mostly the same to me. I’d include 5e along with B/X (and OD&D, PF2, and 4e as well as Goblin Slayer TRPG), so it functionally does what I’d like (even if it doesn’t have my preferred presentation).

And while we are at it, I want theatre of the mind support the way 13th Age has it (not saying it has to be identical, just that it should have similar support for it)

"1d3 nearby enemies in a group. If you cast recklessly, you can target 1d3 additional enemies, but then your allies engaged with any of the targets may also take damage (see below)."

with 'below' being

"Hit: 10d10 fire damage. Miss: Half damage. Reckless miss: Your allies engaged with the target take one fourth damage"
I’m not sure how I feel about these kinds of abstractions. I’ve played games with the and had, but I also like it when space and distance are handled concretely. That’s what my homebrew system does. I might internally have certain common range bands for effects, but they’re going to be presented in meters.

mamba

Legend
Which is a property of the 5e fireball, I believe.
yes, it is, I'd prefer for things to be consistent. If the fireball does not kill a lion in a gold cage, then it also does not melt the gold bars. If it burns a piece of paper on a table next to another piece of paper that I am holding, then both pieces should burn,

I get why they do not want to destroy equipment, I am just not a fan of the inconsistency

kenada

Legend
Supporter
I can go either way on that. The wizard did not lob a grenade at the orc that then exploded, they cast a fireball that then expanded ;)
Yeah, but we’re talking about which descriptions we prefer. I’m saying why AD&D’s doesn’t work for me even though it seemingly has more flavor.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I do enjoy lore and prose, as it is useful for establishing the tone of the game.

But I will agree that TTRPG books desperately need a UI/UX pass.

What ever happened to "rulings not rules"?

All that cruft in the AD&D and 3E versions is just Gygax's (or someone else's) rulings on the spell, written down for others to apply. Why not let those others make their own rulings?

You mean the fact that it explodes outwards from a point yet generates no blast pressure, and it melts gold and the like while leaving
living victims merely singed? (The smallest fireball is 5d6, which is an average of 17.5 hp damage, which even on a failed save is unlikely to kill 5+ HD creatures like lions, tigers, brown bears and the like.)
I never was able to comprehend exactly WHAT a Fireball was supposed to be. It obviously is NOT an explosion, or it would throw things around. It is hot enough to melt copper (over 1095C melting point) but only sometimes kills humans (an air temperature of 400C is 100% lethal, ask anyone who's had firefighting training). As a simulation of anything it is questionable at best, clearly this is a highly magical effect that is entirely unlike anything we experience. It is hard to say there is a right or wrong way to describe it!

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
This is not a "Pick one way or the other" problem. We can, in fact solve it for the majority.

You can just write prose as a lead in, then define and condense the rules into a succinct stat block, leaving more room for prose after. Making a prose sandwich with easily parsed and extracted rule bit for maximum enjoyment with minimal sacrifice.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
What ever happened to "rulings not rules"?
Rulings, once made, become rules.
All that cruft in the AD&D and 3E versions is just Gygax's (or someone else's) rulings on the spell, written down for others to apply. Why not let those others make their own rulings?

You mean the fact that it explodes outwards from a point yet generates no blast pressure, and it melts gold and the like while leaving
living victims merely singed?
Well, living victims with some hit points such as adventurers. Ordinary Joes burn like chickens.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads