• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rope Trick + Bag of Holding/Portable Hole

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Great, thanks for all the feedback. My approach was pretty much the same as adwyn's:

PC #1: "The dragon is circling around again. Quick, all get into the rope trick."
Me (DM): "Um... remind me again who's carrying the bag of holding."
PC #2: "Oh crud. Me. This can't be good."
Me (DM): (Grabs some dice, rolls) "With a sense of dread you climb inside the rope trick and.... nothing happens."
PC #3: "Whatever you do, DON'T OPEN THE BAG!"
PC #4: "Shut up and climb faster, dammit... I can see the dragon's individual scales at this distance..."

Old_Man_Fish

First Post
This came up last session for me. I just had the bag of holding plop out of the space as a one time reminder to the pc's. I said it was such, and, the next time that one of them climbs in with a bag of holding, portable hole, handy haversack or ehlona's quiver, it's off to a random plane (I don't like it always reaching the astral).

Shemeska

Adventurer
Easy answer: Kaboom! Enjoy the Astral, watch out for color pools, and wave to the screaming githyanki.

Exceptions apply of course: like trying to do that in Sigil. No explosion and rift, because only portals can enter or exit the city. What exactly happens, well it's like trying to divide 0 by 0, it's undefined: whatever the DM feels logical to the situation.

lordxaviar

Explorer
The text of Rope Trick invites the DM to use their imagination. I'd let the wizard know the possible consequences beforehand, though.

It is also a nice way to stop all-night camping in dungeons with mid-level parties since they'll often have Bags of Holding and the like.
on the all night camping out, as a player i never went for that, left secured treasure somewhere/how and reenter, with some additional obstacles possible, but better for experience and to be fresh. now as a DM, i kinda encouraged it so i could continue to harass the party and perhaps have denizens steal back some things.

left out the original post. Agree with one of the posters.... which ever is more fun (for the GM that is) and creates new problems to overcome for the party.

If you want to get really picky...

Rope Trick is "extradimensional", while the Bag of Holding and Portable Hole are both "nondimensional". So, with respect to rope trick, the bag and hole should be about the same.

No, portable hole is extradimensional (at least according to the 3.5e hyoertext srd)
In any case the solution is to replace the bag and hole with Leomund's Labile Locker (OG Temple of Elemental Evil pg.126) which shrinks things intead of messing with the fabric of spacetime

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
No, portable hole is extradimensional (at least according to the 3.5e hyoertext srd)
In any case the solution is to replace the bag and hole with Leomund's Labile Locker (OG Temple of Elemental Evil pg.126) which shrinks things intead of messing with the fabric of spacetime

Oh, so you want to argue with me from 14 years ago? Really?

The portable hole description in the 3.5e DMG (pg 264) is not consistent. It says:

"When spread upon any surface it causes an extradimensional space 10 feet deep to come into being."

and

"Each portable hole opens into its own particular nondimensional space."

Maybe nitpicking language of the text is not the best basis for determination, seeing as these were not well-defined game terms anyway. You can guess they meant one and not the other. You can guess they meant both - and then you can guess what it being both means. Whatever floats your boat.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads