• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rope bridge mechanics?

Lauguz

Explorer
Publisher
Hi, has anyone done anything interesting mechanically with rope bridges? Having it simply be difficult terrain due to swaying, with hp to be destroyed doesnt seem like I'd be taking advantage of the system.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
I haven't, but you could make it a skill challenge - either individually or as a group.

Determine how they plan on crossing it, and when and what checks come in to play. Then determine the the good or bad that would result from failures such as slowed progress (if they are being pursued), damage from falling down or through a board that breaks or rope snapping, or potentially falling over the edge or having the bridge break.

Armadillo

Explorer
Well, what do you want to do with the bridge?

Is it in disrepair and risky to cross? Is it a point that will force a conflict with the PCs and their pursuers/quarry? Will destroying the bridge benefit or hinder the party? Will fire spells or other destructive spells have an affect on the bridge? Will the PCs be exposed to flying monsters while crossing the bridge?

LostSoul

Adventurer
Here are a few ideas:

Someone could sway it back and forth, throwing off anyone on it! Make an attack: Str vs. Ref; hit: they fall off the bridge; effect: if someone wants to move on any bridge square they have to make an Athletics or Acrobatics check against your Fort defense.

You could hack away at the bridge and it slowly falls - 1d6 squares of the bridge disappear each round!

Set it on fire - the fire spreads in a burst 1 area each round, dealing 5 fire damage to anyone who enters or begins their turn in any of those squares. Each round, roll 1d6 - on a 1, the bridge burns through and it collapses!

Creatures with spider climb or a climb speed could move along the underside of the bridge, gaining CA if they are underneath someone.

A huge bunch of bats nest nearby. If fire is sent into their nest, they will rush out in a massive cloud! Make an attack against anyone on the bridge: +7 vs. Fort; hit: 1d6+3 damage and Push 2. (Make them fire bats or something else if you're higher level.)

Acrobatics check to maintain your balance as you cross otherwise the bridge wobbles so much you go nowhere or can only move one square. If you fail by a certain amount you fall but get saving throw to catch yourself, maybe dropping weapon at same time.

There was a pretty awesome implementation of a rope bridge in 3.5 in "Forge of Fury"

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
I had a rope bridge in my last D&D session - unfortunately I played the monsters poorly and they didn't get a chance to try to cut the bridge, but that was my intent.

Other than cutting the bridge, I didn't really have any special mechanics to it.

Basically, the bridge was made of 4 ropes, with wooden slats between the bottom two.

0 ropes cut: any model pushed off the bridge gets 2 saving throws to avoid it - make both, and they don't fall prone.

1 rope cut: lose the above special rule

2 ropes cut: all on bridge must make saving throw or fall. Persons on the bridge count count as slowed and grant combat advantage to those not on the bridge

3 ropes cut: same as 2 ropes, but no need for an additional saving throw.

4 ropes cut: all on bridge fall.

Or that's how I seem to remember it working - I seem to have thrown out my encounter page. I think the ropes were AC 10 and had 10 HP. Incidentally, the party was level 3 and a fall would have done 3d10 and essentially removed the player from the fight for as long as it took them to climb up a 30ft cliff.

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
3rd Edition:

Rope has X HP, standard hardness.

Balance check of DC 10 if intact, add 5 for each upper rope cut, Add 10 if either of the 'lower ropes' is cut (assuming 4 ropes), or call for immediate chance of falling (DC 20 Acrobatics check to hold on).

Difficult terrain cost of 2 per 5 foot square if intact. 3 per 5 foot square otherwise.

Allow Opposed Str check vs Balance for someone to try to shake another person off by shaking the ropes.

4th Edition:
Use reasonable AC / Fort / Ref, HP for rope. Attacks vs Will do nothing.
Difficult terrain of either 2/1 or 3/1 as above
Acrobatics check to allow normal movement. add 5 for each upper rope cut, Add 10 if either of the 'lower ropes' is cut (assuming 4 ropes), or call for immediate chance of falling (DC 20 Acrobatics check to hold on).
Str vs Reflex attack to shake someone off the bridge. -4 to Ref if hanging on.

END COMMUNICATION

lukelightning

First Post
I'd consider limiting people's ability to move past each other on the bridge... maybe require an acrobatics check for both people to avoid falling prone. Nobody wants to be jostled when they are hanging on to a shaky, wobbly bridge!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads