• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogues and Shields

SeaJay

Love, Respect, Understanding
Rogues are not proficient with shields.

How's this work again, they can't use shields at all?

Mr.E_Danger

First Post
from d20: "When you are using a shield with which you are not proficient, you take the shield's armor check penalty on attack rolls and on all skill checks that involve moving."

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
As quoted. Note that a masterwork light shield or buckler has NO armor check penalty. Ditto for a darkwood or mithral heavy shield.

So a rogue can use a shield w/o penalty. it just has to be the right kind of shield...

AeroDm

First Post
As quoted. Note that a masterwork light shield or buckler has NO armor check penalty. Ditto for a darkwood or mithral heavy shield.

So a rogue can use a shield w/o penalty. it just has to be the right kind of shield...
In truth that always sort of bothered me. Darkwood is too cheap if it is going to completely get around a feat. What is it, 254 gp (iirc)? That really undercuts shield prof.

paradox42

First Post
In truth that always sort of bothered me. Darkwood is too cheap if it is going to completely get around a feat. What is it, 254 gp (iirc)? That really undercuts shield prof.
In this case, I think, actually the opposite problem is true. It's not a pointer to the item being too good; it's a pointer to the feat being too weak to be worth a feat slot. :) Think about what Shield Proficiency actually does; most of the time you're talking about removal of a -1 penalty to certain rolls (not all rolls, just some) under circumstances of using a specific type of item that not every character uses anyway.

The feat has existed since 3.0, back in 2000, and in all that time, I have never once known a player who took the feat for any character.

Of course, some classes get it free, but again, I think that tends to weaken it as a feat rather than the reverse.

IMO it should probably be folded into one of the Armor Proficiency feats, like Light Armor.

AeroDm

First Post
In this case, I think, actually the opposite problem is true. It's not a pointer to the item being too good; it's a pointer to the feat being too weak to be worth a feat slot. :) Think about what Shield Proficiency actually does; most of the time you're talking about removal of a -1 penalty to certain rolls (not all rolls, just some) under circumstances of using a specific type of item that not every character uses anyway.

The feat has existed since 3.0, back in 2000, and in all that time, I have never once known a player who took the feat for any character.

Of course, some classes get it free, but again, I think that tends to weaken it as a feat rather than the reverse.

IMO it should probably be folded into one of the Armor Proficiency feats, like Light Armor.
That's a good point. It is sort of interesting that you could similarly make the feat more powerful just by increasing the penalty. If you got no benefit of a shield without the feat, it'd suddenly be a more powerful feat. Kind of an odd relationship.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads