• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ring of forceshield

Goolpsy

First Post
Glancing over through the (3.0) DMG i found the ring of forceshield, an item seldom used by our players. According to 3.0 it does not give any spellfailure... (I Seek a 3.5 answer)

Now what if I wanted to improve the armor bonus magically...
like say, it did not make a large force shield, but instead a +2 large forceshield... or a +2 reflecting forceshield... how would you edit this item then?

General premade items are easy to edit.. like a sword with some special ability,... you just figure out the new total enchanctment bonus and the new prize.. but
Ring of forceshield has some abilities that i would say would alter the general prize.

1. Its a Ring!?
2. The shield is made of Force
3. No Spell Failure

As an example, how would you price a Ring of Force +2-shield ?

hong

WotC's bitch
The ring of force shield is weird. You could get a ring of protection +2 and have (almost) exactly the same benefit, but is cheaper.

Goolpsy

First Post
The point of the forceshield ring... is that you actually get a shield that, to my knowledge provides a Shield bonus to AC even though the shield is made of force.
the text says that it can be equiped and does not incur spell failure... which made me think that it was the perfect shield for Arcane Spellcasters.

hong

WotC's bitch
Yeah, but at the end of the day, you get +2 AC. Whether it's from a deflection or shield bonus, it's still +2 AC. And if you're a wiz who really wants a shield for some reason, a mithral buckler has 0% spell failure for another +1 AC.

Raspen

First Post
the force shield would stack just fine with a ring of protection and useing it over a real shield offers meny pluses like it will work aginst ghosts it dont need to be displayed all the time and haveing skill to use it is not required (can your caster use a shield?) as far as upgradeing it i wouldnt but finding a better one that i might let happen such as saying the ring you found creats a shield that provides 4 to your ac and has the reflect ability.

or if you have one made then make the price very high seeing that it is diffrent and powerfull AC boost most casters cant get.

hong

WotC's bitch
Raspen said:
the force shield would stack just fine with a ring of protection and useing it over a real shield offers meny pluses like it will work aginst ghosts it dont need to be displayed all the time and haveing skill to use it is not required (can your caster use a shield?)

In addition to its 0% spell failure, a mithral buckler also has -0 armor check penalty. As for ghosts, as a wiz you probably already have mage armor going which is +4 vs incorporeal attacks straight off the bat.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I always thought the point was: you get another +2 AC, and it stacks with Deflection, AND it works against incorporeal foes.

Yeah, it's kinda expensive. [houserule] But maybe I'd allow it to be enhanced -- it's a better solution IMHO than animated shields. [/houserule]

Cheers, -- N

frankthedm

First Post
Goolpsy said:
Glancing over through the (3.0) DMG i found the ring of forceshield, an item seldom used by our players. According to 3.0 it does not give any spellfailure... (I Seek a 3.5 answer)

Now what if I wanted to improve the armor bonus magically...
like say, it did not make a large force shield, but instead a +2 large forceshield... or a +2 reflecting forceshield... how would you edit this item then?

General premade items are easy to edit.. like a sword with some special ability,... you just figure out the new total enchanctment bonus and the new prize.. but
Ring of forceshield has some abilities that i would say would alter the general prize.

1. Its a Ring!?
2. The shield is made of Force
3. No Spell Failure

As an example, how would you price a Ring of Force +2-shield ?
You don't. The ring is not enhanceable as armor. A DM can throw an enhancement bonus on it if he or she really want to, but this is not an item for a PC to enhance.

Force Shield
An iron band, this simple ring generates a shield-sized (and shield-shaped) wall of force that stays with the ring and can be wielded by the wearer as if it were a heavy shield (+2 AC). This special creation has no armor check penalty or arcane spell failure chance since it is weightless and encumbrance-free. It can be activated and deactivated at will as a free action.

Moderate evocation; CL 9th; Forge Ring, wall of force; Price 8,500 gp.

Goolpsy

First Post
As per my post... What would a Ring of Force +2-shield cost... i.e.

an alternate item based on the ring of forceshield, except that it generated a +2-large forceshield...

My question is: How would you price it?

ps. do not mix in "my DM" or anything... does not help me at all, and does not answer my initial question.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads