• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Retributive Strike

Happiest_Sadist

First Post
Does retributive strike (domain ability for the retribution domain) effect extra damage caused by a critical hit, flaming sword, etc?

So if I score a critical on a retributive strike with a flaming burst scythe does it do (36 flame damage+32 scythe damage+(dam bonus)*4)?

This dosn't sound right, because nothing could survive some attacks with this ability.

Gromm

First Post
Well you ARE talking about a Scythe, nothing can survive a crit from one in most cases anyway. The damage does multiply (just like a Smite). Using a x4 Crit weapon probably isn't a good comparison, much less a flaming burst one.
Odds are that attacks going to kill something without ANY strength bonus, at that point its just overkill.

I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers from a flaming burst scythe wielded by a character with say an 18 Str would do:
30 Flaming Burst+32 Scythe+24 Strength for a total of 86 barring magical bonuses.

Its alot but, the odds of getting a crit with a RetStrike is pretty small (you have to declare it before you attack).

Edit: ok just saw the other 6 damage, from the flaming part of flaming burst right? Ok 92 damage (min 96 if its +1). Its alot, but like I said you have to basically roll a 20 to do it. Not to mention you've got to own at least a +1 Flaming Burst Scythe. This is why scythes are cool (since they don't have much else going for them being 2 handed weapons that do pretty low damage).

If you think its too much make them roll the fire end, most of the time its not going to matter (since the situation is pretty rare as is). But it definately works for the critical from the weapon's damage.

Last edited:

gtJormungand

First Post
Power Critical is the feat in MotW that lets you declare an attack to be a critical. However, this feat requires that you have Improved Critical for that weapon as well. (A spellsword could use this feat and quickened true strikes to get one definite crit in a day)

Gromm

First Post
Valicor said:
What is the Retribution Domain?

I haven't seen it in any of my books, what book is it in, and what does it grant?

FRCS. Basically once per day, if an opponent has dealt damage to you, the next round you can use a retrubitive strike to deal maximun damage to them. You must declare before attacking, etc, etc and it has to be on the next round and they must've dealt damage to you.
Thing is its not all that hard to control as long as you don't attack the character, so from a DM angle its not too bad.

Remove ads