• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Resisting dispel magic effects?

EroGaki

First Post
Uhm, the effect is supposed to keep characters from abusing too many ongoing spells. Ongoing effects a character relies on are supposed to come from magic items, not half [i hope] a dozen spells running at the same time. Clerics are a REAL big offender on this. If clerics frequently are wearing.

• Divine favor
  • Protection from Energy
  • Death Ward
  • Divine Power
  • Righteous Might
  • Heroes feast
  • Holy Aura
Then Dispel Magic [greater] needs all the power it can get.

How is it an "abuse" if characters actually use their spells to good effect? If an cleric wishes to blow most of his spells buffing someone for one combat, I don't think he should automatically get shot down for it. Heck, most of those spells have a minute per level duration. But then, I, unlike some DM's, don't hate my players...

And as for ongoing effects supposed to come from magic items and not spells, I think that is a stupid statement. If the the only buffs a character is supposed to have only comes from magic items, then why provide those spells in the first place? Maybe I'm weird, but I always thought that the purpose of magic items was to give the players awesome new abilities and advantages, not simply make up for inherit weaknesses they might have.

Runestar

First Post
How is it an "abuse" if characters actually use their spells to good effect? If an cleric wishes to blow most of his spells buffing someone for one combat, I don't think he should automatically get shot down for it. Heck, most of those spells have a minute per level duration.
I agree. Lets say a party buffs to make themselves immune to most of the conventional attacks a pit fiend favours (eg: heroes' feast vs its fear/poison attack, silence/greater spell immunity/spell resistance vs its blasphemy, mindblank/freedom of movement vs power word stun/mass hold monster, resist energy vs meteor swarm/fireball). Even though the fight ends up being a cakewalk, the party will still have expended resources in the form of slots being used to cast those buffs.

In terms of resources depleted, they may not necessarily be any better off than if they had simply faced it with few/no buffs and used those slots on healing/restorative magics instead.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Just to make sure we're clear, Targeted Dispel Checks on a person get rolled once for each effect: Thus, the psion needs to roll 7 times, not just once. So its not 75% to kill all effects (its roughly 13%).

Also, in your particular example, you'd have to manifest dispel psionics twice: Once to bring down the globe of invulnerability, and the next to get the rest of the mage's spells.

Just curious - why would they need to manifest twice, once for the globe and then again for the rest of the effects?

Runestar

First Post
Just curious - why would they need to manifest twice, once for the globe and then again for the rest of the effects?

Because you need to dispel the globe first (which can only be accomplished by specifically targeting said spell with the power) before you can target the actual caster. Otherwise, your dispel psionics simply gets canceled out.

Augmenting dispel psionics with additional PP does not raise its effective power level, so it remains a 3rd lv power that can be hedged out by the globe.

irdeggman

First Post
Oh by the way you can't use a targeted dispel against a target with greater invisibility ongoing. You do not have line of sight (required to "target").

You can use an area dispel but that only works on sequential spells (starting with the highest CL one) until one spell is dispeled (not all of them).

NewJeffCT

First Post
Oh by the way you can't use a targeted dispel against a target with greater invisibility ongoing. You do not have line of sight (required to "target").

You can use an area dispel but that only works on sequential spells (starting with the highest CL one) until one spell is dispeled (not all of them).

Thanks - the psion had Psionic True Seeing up, so was able to use that to target the invisible mage.

and, there was a projected image up, which the PCs charged to find out that it was an illusion... then, the psion used his true seeing to try to find the inviso-mage.

s-dub

First Post
No, that is the houserule some people use, but as written it doesn't work that way.
This is how it is wrritten in SRD (same as XPH):
Augment
For every additional power point you spend, the bonus on your dispel check increases by 2 (to a maximum bonus of +20 for a 5-point expenditure).

See, it doesn't say the max on your Dispel Check increases by 2. It says the Bonus.
What it says and what you interpreted may be different, but it still doesn't change the words as they will always be written.

I think that it's crazy if you are using magic/psionics transparency to not have the same rules for dispelling, regardless of what the book says. A fifth level psion should not have the option to dispel at the level of a 15th level wizard.

Starbuck_II

First Post
I think that it's crazy if you are using magic/psionics transparency to not have the same rules for dispelling, regardless of what the book says. A fifth level psion should not have the option to dispel at the level of a 15th level wizard.
A 5th level Psion can't use more than 5 power points: he can't augment.

Now an 10th level Psion has 5 pp over the minimum cost of 5. He can augment by 5. Don't forget the manifesting cap (most important rule in XPH).

A better way to word your exaggeration to make it more possible (how does a 5th level psion get +10 to his manifester so he manifest as 15th level?):

A 8th level Psion can Dispel as a 14th level manifester. He uses 5 pp to use Dispel Psionics and can afford to augment by 3. Add +6.
8+6=14th dispelling check.

Last edited:

NewJeffCT

First Post
A 5th level Psion can't use more than 5 power points: he can't augment.

Now an 10th level Psion has 5 pp over the minimum cost of 5. He can augment by 5. Don't forget the manifesting cap (most important rule in XPH).

A better way to word your exaggeration to make it more possible (how does a 5th level psion get +10 to his manifester so he manifest as 15th level?):

A 8th level Psion can Dispel as a 14th level manifester. He uses 5 pp to use Dispel Psionics and can afford to augment by 3. Add +6.
8+6=14th dispelling check.

and, in the example I had used, the 11th level psion can spend 5pp to "cast" the dispel, then another 5pp to augment it to be +20 to his dispel.

Remove ads