D&D 5E Repurposing Strixhaven as Arcanix in Eberron

Err, I think this is probably an IP violation. And I can't see that you have changed anything to be "more Eberron". I don't think tables are an Eberron-specific invention.

Err, I think this is probably an IP violation.
If it's not painfuly obvious, I'm claiming no copyright, making no challenge to any trademark, and making no profit from this. To make use of this would require ownership of the Strixhaven book.
And I can't see that you have changed anything to be "more Eberron".
I must have missed the references to Changelings, Shifters, Kalashtar, Warforged, the Orrey of Worlds, and Eberron institutions and NPCs in the Strixhaven book. Not to mention every student being renamed using established Eberron conventions.

I don't think tables are an Eberron-specific invention.

I don't even know what you're trying to convey here.

Great, I was thinking of doing something similar! Have you seen Keith's blog post about strixhaven?

I did! Putting Strixhaven in Thelanis seems like a great option if you want to use the material pretty much as is.

I went this way for three main reasons. I wasn't wedded to the idea of using the founder dragons, for my purposes the dragonsguard is replaced by the Arcane Congress. I also wanted moving between on and off campus adventures to be no big deal.

Finally, I wanted to loop back in the idea from the card set that these wizards are drawing on planar energies. I settled on the idea that snarls are a unique type of manifest zone that entangles energies from three different planes, and the campus of each college is built on a different one:

Lorehold = Daanvi + Dolurrh + Kythri
Prismari = Risia + Thelanis + Fernia
Quandrix = Daanvi + Lamannia + Kythri
Silverquill = Irian + Thelanis + Mabar
Witherbloom = Irian + Lamannia + Mabar

Bolares

Hero
I did! Putting Strixhaven in Thelanis seems like a great option if you want to use the material pretty much as is.

I went this way for three main reasons. I wasn't wedded to the idea of using the founder dragons, for my purposes the dragonsguard is replaced by the Arcane Congress. I also wanted moving between on and off campus adventures to be no big deal.

Finally, I wanted to loop back in the idea from the card set that these wizards are drawing on planar energies. I settled on the idea that snarls are a unique type of manifest zone that entangles energies from three different planes, and the campus of each college is built on a different one:

Lorehold = Daanvi + Dolurrh + Kythri
Prismari = Risia + Thelanis + Fernia
Quandrix = Daanvi + Lamannia + Kythri
Silverquill = Irian + Thelanis + Mabar
Witherbloom = Irian + Lamannia + Mabar
Yeah, I'm thinking of not porting Strixhaven as is to Eberron, but getting ideas and characters out of it to make a better arcanix for my game.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yeah, I'm thinking of not porting Strixhaven as is to Eberron, but getting ideas and characters out of it to make a better arcanix for my game.
Yeah I’d love to take the background idea of tying a feat to the background and make my “level 1 bonus feat” houserule a little more interesting.

TheSword

Legend
Yeah I’d love to take the background idea of tying a feat to the background and make my “level 1 bonus feat” houserule a little more interesting.
It’s a good house rule. I wouldn’t make it background specific though. There are going to be lots of different nobles and lots of different urchins. Don’t take the flexibility away.

It’s a good house rule. I wouldn’t make it background specific though. There are going to be lots of different nobles and lots of different urchins. Don’t take the flexibility away.

I am using a house rule similar to that, and tie it to background, but actually in the sense that "the logic of the feat must be explained by the background". It's not as much as "you took noble, have Polearm Mastery" but "You want to get a specific (even, sometimes, custom, akin to Strixhaven's) feat? OK, but explain how it ties to your backstory and we'll work out a custom background for you, like Halbardier Company Commander". So if someone wants a very powerful 1st level feat, it can be mitigated by, maybe, not getting two proficiencies but one, for example), to balance among the players -- but often it's not necessary to balance because players are reasonable.

Bolares

Hero
In my experience, when I give a free level 1 feat players tend to take feats they wouldn't take otherwise, the ones that fit their character ideas. Rarelly they go for the big combat ones.

Remove ads