• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Replacing Eladrin Fey Step?

Drkfathr1

First Post
Say you wanted to keep most of the flavor of the Eladrin race, but wanted to remove the teleporting ability. What kind of ability/power do you think would work well with the race's concept as a replacement?

erf_beto

First Post
Some suggestions I've seen:

* instead of teleport, shift 5 squares, ignore difficult terrain during this move
* cast one cantrip per encounter (might not work for eladrin wizards)
* reroll History or Arcana skill check (or maybe a lot more skills - as an ancient race eladrins could be the masters of knowledge)
* weapon finesse with longswords and spears (use Dex instead of Str)
* an Awe/Beauty/Inspiring/Intimidating group aura or power based on nobility hubris and/or comeliness (reroll or give bonus to social skill where your mere presence is disconcerting and or driving the attention of everyone else)

why no teleporting? is it somehow being abused?

Not everyone likes teleportation at low levels. Even if it's just for ordinary movement. ;)

My idea would be to grant the Eladrin a Wizard At-Will as an Encounter power, but this will be less useful for wizards (maybe instead grant him an extra at-will - as at-will), and it quickly becomes obsolete for a non-Wizard.

A 5 square shift that ignores difficult terrain basically recreates the entire effect, minus a few corner cases (monsters with Combat Challenge like abilities, and challenging or blocking terrain can be problematic.)

Drkfathr1

First Post
why no teleporting? is it somehow being abused?

It's not the movement so much, just the fluff around it all. No precedent in my campaigns for teleporting Elves, so I was wanting some ideas on what to replace it with if I ditch it. I'm not going to re-design my campaign world just to shoe horn something like that in.

Shifting isn't a bad idea if you account for their grace. I also like the idea of the social aura and the re-rolling of arcana and history checks.

I had thought of cantrips or a wizard at-will as an encounter power, but that wouldn't work well if the character was already a wizard.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
I have a similar issue, I want to have some "hidden" Eladrin mixed in with regular Elves (it's a major theme of my campaign), but I need to think of a subtler ability they can use.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
My idea would be to grant the Eladrin a Wizard At-Will as an Encounter power, but this will be less useful for wizards (maybe instead grant him an extra at-will - as at-will), and it quickly becomes obsolete for a non-Wizard.

That's why I say chose the wizard at will and grant wand proficiency to use the power with. They already get longswords.

Go the whole "All eladrin learn a little magic" route. It's balanced with humans and half elves because it forces which class and power you get.

Human- Current class' at-will.
Half elf- Any other class at-will as encounter
Eladrin- Specific at-will of specific class

Non-wizards get another ranged attack, Wizards get a bonus at will. Everybody wins!

Drkfathr1

First Post
That's a good point, even if they were a Wizard they'd just end up with an extra at-will, which would still be a nice bonus, not useless overlap.

I'd probably be happy with that without adding the Wand mastery.

Nice ideas guys, this gets me thinking!

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
What I've been using since 4e launched is:

Eladrin get a wizard cantrip of their choice as an encounter power.

Eladrin Wizards (on the other hand) get a third at-will power.

So far there out of about 15 PCs there have been about 4 Eladrin, and only the most recent one a wizard. Other wizards have been tieflings and human to date.

Cheers

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads